Cat obsessed with plastic

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old cat and she's OBSESSED with plastic and she always seems to want to chew on it. If i leave a plastic wrapper laying on the table by accident, and she finds it, she'll immediately start chewing on it. Even if I throw it away, she'll search for it for a while. There's been times she seems to search for it in the area it was for a day.

Can anyone offer me any insight to this behavior?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be pica, something we see signs of in one of our cats. We keep plastic bags and garbage in closed spaces to keep her away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, but what is pica? And I do my best to keep her away from plastic.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, but what is pica? And I do my best to keep her away from plastic.
The article I linked to calls it "a behavioral urge," which sounds about right.

Here's another article that discusses other aspects of it:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here is another link. Poca is the behavior of chewing and sometimes eating non food items.
It can be caused my many different causes ranging from behavioral to medical and depending on the cause of pica in cats it can be treated.
If your cat is showing signs and symptoms of pica it would be a good start to get her in to see a vet to figure out if it is being caused my something medical.