Cat Obese From Steroids

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

What can I do about Brax? He has asthma, and the only thing that does a thing to ward off his attacks is depo steroid injection. He takes montelukast daily but it seems ineffective. I don't want to keep giving him the steroid- he has become quite obese despite being a light eater. I am afraid he could develop diabetes. I should add he is an FIV+ cat approximately 7 years old. He was a total feral; I captured him and tamed him two years ago. His bloodwork fine for now. Any recommendations?

And, how in the world does an obese cat lose weight? He currently eats a combination of Smalls and Fancy Feast Pate + a little Hills Metabolic Weight Loss kibble. He doesn't come close to recommended calorie intake, he has a small appetite. He is active, playful and happy.

1000006686.jpg

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a similar situation with my oldest. He has light asthma and comes in once a year or so for a steroid shot as well. The first time he got it he gained at least 4 lbs, totaling out to 14lbs and manage to sustain it there since then. hes a very long cat so it doesnt look as big on him, but you can definitely feel it on his tummy. Still, it's hard for me to manage to get his weight down because I'm in a multi-cat househould, and on top of that, they are grazers and don't eat all their food in one sitting. So its either I have to leave food out for both of them and they'll both eat each others food over time, or I feed them little so I can make sure they eat it all before I leave to work, which will leave them hungry through the day. Currently trying to sort out a situation that would help him lower in weight a little bit as well but don't know where to start.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have either of you discussed this with your Vets? These are different situations than the usual, where the cats are simply overeaters. I would discuss this with them to get their take on it. Steroids area whole other deal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I was hoping some folks here might have personal experience w this issue.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have either of you discussed this with your Vets? These are different situations than the usual, where the cats are simply overeaters. I would discuss this with them to get their take on it. Steroids area whole other deal.
I was told outright that he is going to gain weight due to the steroids. So since then, because exactly that happened, I've been trying to find alternatives. I have heard about a transdermal gel or something like that that I've been interested in, but my vet recommends an inhaler, though I honestly don't think my oldest will get used to that. Thr jump from 10 lbs to 14lbs happened in a span of about 6-8 months after the shot where as he was 10lbs for about 5 years straight.

I think I'm going to look more into that transdermal gel though.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, emelyssa, still nobody taking up on your question. So, why not go someplace where everybody's cat is asthmatic..........

Both of you, emelyssa emelyssa and ImaRobot ImaRobot , might get some answers to your dilemma if you put your stories to the folks at one/more of the specialized online communities of people who are managing their cats' asthma.

There are a number of these communities......
I suspect you'll get an answer (or more) somewhere in there.

Let us know what you find out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I did not know about these forums!!