Cat not walking straight after rectal examination and deworming

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat went for a vet visit today for rectal examination, deworming and a stool lab test. Her stool lab test came back clear but the vet just wanna be sure, hence, he gave her deworming tablet. He also did rectal examination.

My cat is definitely stressed up by the vet visit as she's timid. Now, I just noticed that she's walking weirdly. It's as if she's walking like a drunk person.

Did anyone ever experience their cat not walking well after rectal examination or deworming? My cat had deworming pills before, and, she wasn't like that previously.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
See if you can get a video, and call your vet and show them as soon as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
See if you can get a video, and call your vet and show them as soon as you can.
The vet is closed at the moment and tomorrow will be their clinic off day. I'm feeling so guilty right now. If only I didn't bring my cat in for a stool test, she won't need to get the deworming pill nor the rectal examination. She was totally fine this noon. Now, she's having lack of appetite too. The reason why I brought her in was because she's having some loose stool issues these days. She completed her antibiotics on Friday, but, her stool is still on and off between firm and loose. She's having tiny leaking stool from her anus yesterday. Today she's fine. And yet, I brought her to the vet for a check for just in case. And now, she's not well. I can't help but to blame it all on me.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there another vet you could contact? This isn't your fault, you were trying do the right thing by her.

See if there is anything in this thread that might help with her eating;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
She started eating just a few minutes ago and her breathing rate is back to normal 😭 all the vet are closed for the day as I'm based in Singapore. If she's not better tomorrow morning, I'll get an urgent day off work and send her to another vet for just in case.

Thanks for comforting me 😭 I'm just wondering if she's sore from the rectal examination or perhaps the Drontal is making her a little weak.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Check your invoice and see if the vet sedated her for the rectal exam. That might explain her behavior. If so, the dose might have been a bit too much, or she might turn out to be 'allergic' to the sedation med.

Hopefully, you'll tell us in your next post that she is doing just fine!

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Check your invoice and see if the vet sedated her for the rectal exam. That might explain her behavior. If so, the dose might have been a bit too much, or she might turn out to be 'allergic' to the sedation med.

Hopefully, you'll tell us in your next post that she is doing just fine!
Hi! I just checked the invoice and nope, the vet didn't sedate her for the rectal exam. She's still sleeping now, I'm holding off sleep, hoping I can check her walk again when she get up for litterbox or etc. Thanks for the well wishes!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She started eating just a few minutes ago and her breathing rate is back to normal 😭 all the vet are closed for the day as I'm based in Singapore. If she's not better tomorrow morning, I'll get an urgent day off work and send her to another vet for just in case.
do you know of any vet ERs in Singapore that the OP can use, if not now but for future concerns?
TeaMatcha TeaMatcha , I don't don't which part of Singapore you are located but if you need emergency number for the vet, I have one veterinarian that my boy goes to and I'll link the website below. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage of the vet's site to get the Emergency Number.

The Joyous Vet :- tjv

Others :- 24h-vets

Hope your cat is feeling better today :hugs:

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TeaMatcha TeaMatcha , I don't don't which part of Singapore you are located but if you need emergency number for the vet, I have one veterinarian that my boy goes to and I'll link the website below. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage of the vet's site to get the Emergency Number.

The Joyous Vet :- tjv

Others :- 24h-vets

Hope your cat is feeling better today :hugs:
Hi! Thanks for the share! She seems to be fine this morning. I'm waiting for the vet to reply to me once they're open tomorrow.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said that it was probably due her feeling sore after the rectal examination 😊
If I had a tube shoved up my a$$ I'd probably walk funny, too! ;) ;) ;)

Our cat, Casper, has had a few bouts of megacolon which required enemas for treatment.
He had a sore bum and walked funny for a while, afterward, but he was okay after a day or so.

Glad your cat is better! :)