Cat Not Using Her Litterbox

chickiefoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female cat, Mags, who I adopted 6 years ago and is about 7 I would guess now. She's always disliked using the litterbox. She'd jump in, do her business, jump out, no burying. But she would use it. The last couple of months she hasn't. Sometimes she does, but not usually. It started a couple of months ago when she had loose stool and diarrhea, so we took her to the vet. The vet didn't really have any concrete answer, except maybe stress from my mom being gone for a week? Although anyone being gone has never affected her that way. So the vet gave us antibiotics and Flortiflora that we used, and she got better, poop is as healthy as can be. And she started to kind of use the litterbox again, but then we (my parents and I, whole household) left for a week and came back and its right back to no litterbox. Again, anyone leaving has never affected her this way (I don't like leaving the cats at home by themselves when we leave either, but my parents won't pay for a pet sitter). I've added another litterbox (3, I have 2 cats, other cat is just fine, actually other cat is great about using the litterbox and both cats get along okay) (all open-type litterboxes also), changed the type of litter (multiple times), become much better about cleaning them (every day now). I've seen her poop and pee a few times in the litterbox, but that's it in about two weeks. She's acting her normal self, just her bathroom habits are something left to be desired.

I've thought about getting one of those Feliway dispensers, see if that would help. I've thought about reverting back to their original litter (Tidy Cats) (the not-using-the-litterbox-thing started while I was still using this litter btw), but I'd prefer not to since it's so dusty. And I've mopped the floor, but probably need to do that again. But I wanted some of y'all's thoughts/opinions about this first though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you are dealing with litter box avoidance issues. It does kind of sound stress related, since it first started around the time your mom was away. I've never used Feliway, but I have seen posts from people who find it helpful. You could also look into calming treats.

Also make sure you are using an enzyme cleaner, as it is the only one that will totally remove the urine scent.

Here are some TCS articles that may be helpful:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll just add one more article to that,
Separation Anxiety In Cats since it looks as if that may be a factor.

Also, since the worst of this started post-tummy upset, she may just be associating the tummyache with the litter box. You might try an entirely different box, and/or different litters. Sometimes that does the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickiefoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your answer rubysmama, and all your resources! I'm looking into getting an enzyme cleaner now, I was using an all-purpose cleaner. And I do have some calming treats that I originally got for my dog (it's for cats and dogs) that I'll try with her.

Thank you Mamanyt1953, and maybe she does have separation anxiety, although that'd be a little problematic since I'm planning on going off to college this fall :paranoid:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, then you'll have time to start working with her now! If it is separation anxiety, maybe you can get it under control before you head off! I hope you enjoy college as much as I did (many years ago).