Cat not scratching stuff

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds like exact opposite of a problem..

I have a kitten who has never been interested in scratching stuff, but occasionally touching his post when he is excited I'm home. 

But since he doesn't scratch, I find his nails everywhere and i'm scared he is going to hurt himself by not keeping them trimmed. He runs around the apartment and his nails get stuck in the carpet and they yank off the sheaths.

He is very fussy about me holding his feet so I cant cut them. Should I take him to get them professionally trimmed? or should I just trust that he is okay?

thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually cats keep their claws short enough on their own but if he gets them caught in the carpet I'd say he needs some assistance. There are videos on youtube about how to clip a cat's nails without bloodshed :D. If you really can't do it yourself it probably would be a good idea for a groomer or vet to do it occasionally.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he react to cat nip? You can always sprinkle some on the scratching post to get him interested. Also, maybe you can show him how to use it by taking his paws and putting it on the post.

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have this old plastic raincoat my cat used as a slip n' slide when he was a kitten. He's 14 and still sleeps on it. Anyway, one time he crawled inside of the arm of the coat and popped his head and front legs through. I realized it was the perfect way to trim his claws. He was basically like a little sausage and couldn't struggle. Anytime I'd want to clip them I would lure him through the arm. After a while he became used to the trimmings.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have this old plastic raincoat my cat used as a slip n' slide when he was a kitten. He's 14 and still sleeps on it. Anyway, one time he crawled inside of the arm of the coat and popped his head and front legs through. I realized it was the perfect way to trim his claws. He was basically like a little sausage and couldn't struggle. Anytime I'd want to clip them I would lure him through the arm. After a while he became used to the trimmings.
LOL!!!!! That's hilarious.