Cat not returned home after 6 days

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi my sisters cat has gone out and not returned home for almost a week now.. the day he went out, he was let out in the evening to go toileting outside but we fell asleep forgetting he's out and closed all the doors and the next day there was heavy rainfall and he hasn't come home after days Do you think he's injured or got in an accident? We have lost all hopes now and think he'll never come back because usually he comes in within 12 hours and 48hours at the latest and he is quite wild so he's not the type to get lost and if he's around there is no reason why he wouldn't come back

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I won't definitevly say that he won't ever come back. Sometimes cats come back weeks or even months after they dissapear. He could have been scared by someone or something (you did mention heavy rain), and just be hiding somewhere. Someone could have taken him, thinking that he's a stray. There is also always a possibility of him just wandering off on a little adventure.
Do you think he's injured or got in an accident?
This, of course, is also a very real possibility.

Alldara has posted a good link, you should follow advice there. It's better to look for cats at dawn or dusk, as it's usually the time they come out of their hiding places.

But please, once you find the cat, don't let him out anymore! This is not the first and not even the second time you have posted about a cat going missing (7 month kitten has not come home and Cat returned after 5 months). I know that they probably like it outside, but it is clearly not safe for them :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is a hunting cat that likes to hunt pigeon and mouse and he is not really afraid of people so I don't think he'd be hiding.. I think he got injured or got in an accident on heavy rainy day or got in a truck and drove off far where he cannot come back otherwise there is no reason he wouldn't come back when he likes our home so much

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister and I've been searching nearby streets and printed lost posters to put up the streets

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a hunting cat that likes to hunt pigeon and mouse and he is not really afraid of people so I don't think he'd be hiding.. I think he got injured or got in an accident on heavy rainy day or got in a truck and drove off far where he cannot come back otherwise there is no reason he wouldn't come back when he likes our home so much
Almost every cat likes hunting birds and mice. That doesn't mean that they can't be spooked by a larger animal or a person, who has bad intentions. Again, what you describe (injury or being lost) is absolutely possible, but if I were you, I would still check nooks and crevices in your neighbourhood just in case.

Hopefully you'll find him soon

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. My sisters cat came home tonight after 7 days! He was very hungry and dirty with dust.. I think he's been trapped somewhere his vocal was totally gone from too much crying
What we are worrying about is if he went without food for all these days and damaged his liver badly

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. My sisters cat came home tonight after 7 days! He was very hungry and dirty with dust.. I think he's been trapped somewhere his vocal was totally gone from too much crying
What we are worrying about is if he went without food for all these days and damaged his liver badly
I'm so glad he came back!! I hope his recovery goes well ❤

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! How is he now? Have you-all had a chance to get him in to his vet for a wellness check? Could she tell, had he lost weight? Is he dehydrated?
Haven't had chance to visit the vet yet. Will do in the coming weeks but he wasn't eating like he use to and his liver seems swelled up while other parts of his body feels overall harder than before
He ate boiled chicken and some foods he use to eat like fancy feast and Felix but his appetite is short and seems down and uncomfortable
He wasn't a overweight cat to begin with but very lean and fit so I think that's why he was able to survive a week without food. He used to be between 5.5-6kg but when I weighed him this morning he was 5.1kg so not much weight loss
He doesn't seem dehydrated

Last edited:

TheHans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat who disappeared once when I lived downtown in Toronto. He'd never strayed before and I'd had him at that point for about 5 years. After a week, I gave up hope and was very despondent. But a week after that, I woke up during the night because I heard his voice. He was at the door. He looked like he'd dropped a few kilos for sure and I'm guessing he was trapped somewhere. He was fine and gained back that weight soon enough. Cats do come back sometimes. I'm glad your sister's did too.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From your description of how he's eating and behaving, hopefully you can convince them to take him in sooner than later.
The earliest vet is available is this Thursday.. my sister wants to deserve him on the day as well, is this safe? He is eating OK and doesn't seem to have lost that much weight

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who disappeared once when I lived downtown in Toronto. He'd never strayed before and I'd had him at that point for about 5 years. After a week, I gave up hope and was very despondent. But a week after that, I woke up during the night because I heard his voice. He was at the door. He looked like he'd dropped a few kilos for sure and I'm guessing he was trapped somewhere. He was fine and gained back that weight soon enough. Cats do come back sometimes. I'm glad your sister's did too.
Glad your cat came home but my sisters cats personality seem changed.. he gets startled easily and very aggressive suddenly. When he got along well with my cat before he went missing he suddenly tried to bite my female cat in the neck after coming back (not the kind of mating bite but more of attacking one)
He also jumped up and attacked my sister when she tried to summon him outside and a stranger passed by
Do you think he acquire some sort of PTSD?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He should be kept in for some time.
You have no way to know what's happened to him. If someone tried to hurt him, he could become reactive to people (the stranger walking by) until he learns people are safe.

When cats are wandering they meet other cats who want to fight. Hes had to protect himself for days. That explains his response to your cat.