Cat not interested in hypoallergenic food?

Nlamanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could use some help if anyone has any tips. My cat seems to develop allergies to every sort of food she tries. The doctor has now prescribed her the Hills z/d hydrolyzed protein food, but she has no interest in it. I don’t know what to do to get her to eat, as I don’t want to add any sort of protein that could trigger her allergies. I’m just not sure where to go from here as her allergies seem to persist no matter what diet I try, and this new food isn’t appetizing to her. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a novel protein limited ingredient diet such as these, if they are available in your location (they are US brands):

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food

Chicken is a cause of many allergies in cats so avoid that, including treats. Try feeding something like rabbit or venison. Canned food is preferred over dry as there tends to be less fillers.

Sometimes it's a filler ingredient like gums and starches that causes a reaction.

A food trial has to be done for at least 13 weeks or so to determine if the food is helping the allergies or makes it worse. Keep a log of every food you try and what the allergic reaction is.

A home cooked or raw diet are options you can look into. Many vets discourage these as it's far too easy to feed an unbalanced diet (can't just feed meat and nothing else) but there are good recipies and supplements that makes it super easy to do a home cooked or raw diet. There are commercially available raw pet foods, too, if you don't want to make food from a recipe. There's a separate forum here on TCS with more info on these diets.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was on that for several years. She survived, but didn't thrive. What fixed her is Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Rice formula. Available at Petsmart. This Purina food saved her life.

I'm not a medical professional, so cannot speak to your situation, but I'm glad I tried it with my cat.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to put my Frida on z/d, and she had less than no idea what to do with the strange new frankenfood! I ended up having to chop it into tiny cubes and did a very slow introduction, mixing it slowly into her old food. It took a couple of weeks to get her to 100% z/d. After that I kept chopping it up and added some warm water to decrease the stickiness of it. She still disliked it, but at least she was eating it!