Cat not improving

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old cat started with a cough that sounded like a toddler coughing 29-30 days ago. Then it progressed into a hacking cough. 9-10 days later I noticed that she wasn't eating. She also had the following symptoms, mucus from the nose, teary eyes, and lots of sneezing. The first vet I took her only tested her for FIV which came back positive and FELV which tested back negative. He made it seem like it was a death sentence and only gave me vitamins. The next day I took her to another vet for a second opinion. They put her on Convenia, 2 doses 4 days apart of Enrofloxacin, Yaten Caseina once a week for 3 weeks. Nebulization every 6 hours, and prednisolone. I saw a bit of improvement after enrofloxacin and even began eating on her own the day after. But then her health kept declining. I went for another visit and they put her on Sinvirax for 5 days and vitamins. I'm on the 3rd day of sinvirax and I don't see improvement. There is no longer any coughing and less sneezing but there are 2 or 3 sores on her mouth, still not eating on her own, mucus on her eyes, nose, and drooling. Should I look for a third opinion? I'm currently in Central America and I'm in the process of relocating her to the states but I don't think she will be allowed to travel like that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV)
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) | International Cat Care
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus Infection | VCA Animal Hospitals
The articles above discuss FIV and specifically mention that an FIV positive cat who is negative for FeLV has a good chance of surviving. There are also some suggestions for medications.
Fiv cat; supplements, Interferon Alpha, other clinical trials?
Discusses options for treatment and supplements. Includes suggestions which may or may not be effective.
Traveling EU with a FIV+ cat?
This thread was not ever concluded, but did have some information about traveling with an FIV cat which might help.

I wonder if she needed the antibiotics for a longer period of time since you saw improvement but then it waned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she needed the antibiotics for a longer period of time since you saw improvement but then it waned.
That's what I'm wondering. A couple of days after seeing and starting the meds with the second vet I received a message from the first vet to see how she was and told me to give her Clavulin for humans. I don't know if I should jump into using that or not.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Clavamox is certainly a popular enough medication for cats, but I don't know if Clavulin is the same exactly.....yes, it is amoxicillin and clavulanic acid but I don't know about any other components. I am not familiar with Synvirax but checked and it seems to be used in Latin American veterinary practice. Someone needs to help you decide if you should go forward with the Clavulin.....and it might be exactly what would help. Tell the vet about everything you have used and when so there is no interaction or overdosing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and gave the cat clavulin and saw improvement in her within 1 day. She started eating solids again. Her tounge sores went away and so did her reddened nose. The day after another cat started having symptoms and then 3 of my other cats as well. I gave them the clavulin I soon as I saw symptoms and 1 of them is all better now while the other 3 are recovering. What I'm worried about now is that she finished her 6 days of antibiotics that was recommended by the vet today and she still has the occasional tears.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You did a great job of resolving this and getting everyone on the road to recovery. Since you decided on a medication that worked, I would just call the vet and ask about continuing it, if necessary. Some antibiotics continue to work once the dose is finished, but I don't know for sure if clavulin does.