Cat Not Eating

Rockyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted mother cat and baby in July. No one knew she got pregnant. August 8 she gave birth to seven kitties. After 10 days now. Last night she stopped eating. Walk-in Vet hours 4- 5:30 only on Sat . Couldn't take her because she was breastfeeding. Very concerned. Why she is not eating.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I've read that sometimes mom cats literally get so intensely involved that eating for themselves stops being a priority.

I'm not a vet so I have no idea if that's what happened here.

Can you get her to eat canned kitten food, heated up, or with warm water added so it's a little soupy?
Can you get goat milk?

If you call your vet clinics regular number, the recorded message should provide an emergency number.

Hang in there!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rockyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is Rockyblue. Mother cat (mittins) started eating some. Still walking a little slow. But thank God she's eating. Will watch her a few days more and take to Vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Thank goodness she's eating!! Let us know what the vet says - sending you all sorts of good thoughts!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apparently there was something. Perhaps a temporary virus? Still, as also her walking is slower, it was something.

Entice her to eat as well you can, and these foods mentioned earlier are good advice.
You can add a little honey into her drinking water. It gives always some extra calories.

With 7 babies there are no margins.

Also, prepare to handfeed them if you must supplement or if momma gets worse.
Easiest is to have goats milk at home...
Mother cat (mittins) started eating some. Still walking a little slow. But thank God she's eating. Will watch her a few days more and take to Vet.