Cat not eating or drinking for almost 2 days

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My cat hasn’t been eating or drinking for almost two days. I took her to two different vets and they both said she has respiratory infection (her temperature was 105F) . They gave her two injections yesterday and two today, she gets better for two hours and then only sleeps. I’m so worried about her. I feel like they don’t know what they are doing, or maybe i’m just scared for my cat. :(
  • she has her tongue out
  • she only eat treats
  • she didn’t use the litter box for 2days
    2377D6EE-FCE6-43EB-9F4E-9E513474839A.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Antibiotics and fever reducing injections (sorry i don’t have the specific names at the moment).
she’s almost 2 years old, fully vaccinated and very healthy( was tested 2 months ago). I tried to make her have some water since she looked very dry but she threw up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the extra information. Two day's worth of injectable antibiotics sounds like they gave her two different types, for some reason - but odds are neither of them would act so fast as to make her feel better in such a short time. The ones done to reduce her fever may be what actually be why you saw a change. But, chances are good the fever is back and is part of her problem.

Without knowing what they actually gave her, I can only say that even injected antibiotics can make a cat feel rough. It can bother their stomachs. Eating treats is good, but a lot of cats who are nauseous will tend to eat treats over 'regular' food. Since she didn't drink for a couple of days, there is a good chance she is dehydrated and probably could use some IV fluids to help with that. Treats won't do much for that, A fever can also attribute to dehydration as much as not eating (or drinking). So can vomiting.

You need to find out more about what they gave her and why, what they are looking for in terms of improvement and when, and what else they can do for her to help her along. You also need to let them know she has now thrown up. It is possible that she needs anti-nausea meds and an appetite stimulant to try to get her eating again - along with the IV fluids.

It isn't necessarily that the vet doesn't know what they are doing, but more communication needs to happen between the two of you so you can better understand what they are thinking, and to find out what some other options are to help her.

Last edited:

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for being helpful.
You’re right, more communication needs to happen, my brother took her that’s why i’m clueless. They said if she doesn’t get better by tomorrow they will give her an injection to reduce the fever and will have her blood tested. I’m pretty sure she caught this infection from the sick stray cat that i helped last week. Thanks again!

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't rule out talking to them about my suggestions. But, yes, knowing more is going to help you - and us a lot if we were to be able to offer more. Keep us posted. please.
Don't rule out talking to them about my suggestions. But, yes, knowing more is going to help you - and us a lot if we were to be able to offer more. Keep us posted. please.
To keep you updated, i took her to another veterinarian and he said she was misdiagnosed😵💫. Also she didn’t need the antibiotics injections. It turned out that she was stressed because we brought another cat a while ago (temporarily) and she was hissing at him all the time. So she has FCV (not severe) and only needs to rub an oral gel (Daktarin). She’s getting better<3.
Also she says hi!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to get her an appointment with another vet and she's starting to feel better. Keep in mind FCV is highly contagious to other cats so if you have any other kitties at home please be careful. Here is an excellent article that helps explain FCV in more detail: Feline Calicivirus

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can understand stress might cause a flare up of the FCV virus. Daktarin contains miconazole which is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent that is both fungicidal and bactericidal. So, I guess her flare up involved her moth/throat? I am sure the vet told you to use in between meals so that eating does not diminish its effectiveness.

I guess if it works, and gets rid of the symptoms of her flare up, that is good news.

DMG as a supplement is often used to help build up immune support in cats with various viruses. Might be something to look into.
VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very upset.
My cat's health has declined significantly over the past 24 hours.
She only ate once after applying the oral gel recommended by the vet (threw up 10 mins later). I made an appointment and told him that she was not eating, he acted surprised and said, “I thought she was eating”. So he recommended taking an XRay to fully check her (she was drugged), it turned out she was very healthy but was filled with stool since it’s been a week since she used the litter box. So he gave her laxative? sorry english isn’t my first language, anyways so she could empty her stool and told me to take her home.

The next day, she looks dead. Unable to do anything and drowning in her own stool. She also has been vomiting yellow and brown liquid.
Yesterday she ate a little bit of mushed wet food before going to the vet, but threw up as soon as we arrived. She has not been eating or drinking well for a week. The vet even said that if it were not for her health and weight, she would’ve been already dead. I am honestly so angry!! They all only care for money. I even contacted the first veterinarian who gave her the six injections and I asked her why she did not check her mouth first? She answered rudely, “Your cat is aggressive!! I didn’t want her to bite me!.” yes my cat might be aggressive because she is scared, but she is NOT THAT AGGRESSIVE!!
I decided to give her Amoclan twice a day to treat her ulcers. This is how I treat the street cats. There is no other solution.
I’m sorry for this long paragraph, but I’m just very sad and scared. The sight of my cat hurts me a lot. I don't want to lose her.
Please pray for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry you are having such a difficult time with getting help for your cat. Amocian is an antibiotic, and it seems to me that some of the injections she has received were also antibiotics, so her system could also be overloaded with them. Antibiotics are notorious for causing digestive tract upset- including vomiting, especially when a cat is not eating well.

It sounds like she did need the laxative if she went so much afterward. That should help, but it can also cause a degree of exhaustion between the constipation and then having a laxative in her system to get rid of the stool. Losing all that stool could also contribute to her being tired as she is likely even more dehydrated than she was before with her limited drinking.

The vomiting sounds like bile/stomach acids, which can happen when a cat doesn't eat well. The acids build up and irritate the stomach lining which can provoke vomiting. At this point, I would try anything and everything under the sun to see if she will eat something. Right now, it doesn't matter whether it is a complete cat food - just some nutrition of any kind is more important. It just has to be tiny amounts every hour or so until her digestive tract gets used to processing food again. I don't know where you are located, since you said English isn't your first language, so some of these food suggestions may or may not be available to you. Water and/or unflavored Pedialyte for hydration too.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

So, this most recent vet isn't giving her anything to help with nausea? Or, anything else for that matter?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry your cat is so sick. She does sound very sick from what you describe.

Honestly, she needs to be hospitalized from what you are describing. I am not a vet, buts cat in her condition needs IV fluids as well as other medications and to be monitored 24/7. Is there an actual 24 hour veterinary hospital near you?

idkwhoiamd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! to keep you updated:
After giving her Amoclan she’s slightly active and been eating and drinking a little bit! (made for her chicken with broth). She also uses the litter box.

But the thing is after she eats/drinks she suddenly flinches and runs away to hide/try to calm herself down. I think her tongue burns when she eats, i’m still using the oral gel as her vet recommended, he said her tongue and throat looks better.
I am planning to take her to the vet for a check up, but not now as they all said she needs to be drugged. I think she’s had enough for now.
I hope she only keeps getting better!