Cat not eating, drinking and hiding

diditadiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My 12 year old cat had her last poo 48 hrs ago. It was hard and small pieces so she’s been constipated. Yesterday had a bit of sauce from the wet food but nothing since. She won’t eat, drink, poo, she hides under the bed and sleeps. Took her to the vet, blood tests came out fine, scan showed no changes in organs. Vet visit was very traumatic for her, now she runs every time i try to pet her to a different hiding spot. I force fed her hairball gel, nothing seems to improve her state. There were no changes in her diet, in the air, she’s an indoor cat, only pet in the house. Please help. Thank you

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a hairball that might take a little time to pass through. Make sure she gets fluids even if you have to syringe it into her. Try giving tuna juice and sometimes a pea size blob of original Vaseline on her nose or paw for her to lick off can help.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat who has health issues won’t eat, I give her the Tiki Stix (she prefers tuna). Not a lot of calories, but it gets moisture in her, and often it stimulates her appetite to eat more. They’re expensive, but I like to have them on hand. I hope your kitty feels better very soon 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diditadiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea, she loves these sticks too. She had one yesterday morning, but today she won’t even touch them.. i forced a bit of one this morning but she hissed at me and went hiding under the bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diditadiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a hairball that might take a little time to pass through. Make sure she gets fluids even if you have to syringe it into her. Try giving tuna juice and sometimes a pea size blob of original Vaseline on her nose or paw for her to lick off can help.
I hope she’ll be able to eliminate it. Vet said she needs to eat in order to push it through, and if she won’t eat all day to take her to put an iv tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try human canned tuna (or chicken) in water, other lickable treats such as Temptations, Vitakraft, Catit, and/or Wholehearted, maybe even some of the Delectable Bisques. You might also consider baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), it seems even cats who aren't feeling well are inclined to eat them when they won't eat other foods. None of these are nutritionally complete for a cat, but they may help to jump start her eating, which is your primary goal right now.

Did the vet suggest some Miralax to help soften her stool? Probably the most natural thing out there as it merely draws moisture into the colon to make the stool softer and easier to expel. 1/8 tsp is the best dose to start with - once a day and hopefully by Day 2 you get some results. If not, you can increase it two twice a day, or 1/4 tsp once a day. Mix the Miralax with a little bit of water, and maybe add it to some tuna 'juice' or any of the other recommendations I noted above to get her to take it.

rvf4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took her to another vet, scanned her again and found cancer in the liver and pancreas. 😔 Tonight I have to decide if we put her on treatment to prolong her life a few months or put her down. Tough night.
Please can you update us?? I have the same issue with liver spleen and lymph though luckily he is still eating. I have the same problem with the vet journey and can't imagine weekly chemo visits. did they give you estimates for the treatment or which treatment is best?