Cat Not Eating And Losing Weight

Thatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Howdy! Here is some background information on little Zilu:
-resuced from a breeder (Selkirk Rex)
-severe giardia, needed multiple treatments (a year ago)
-purse string suture for prolapsed anus (a year ago)
-now she's a year and 2 months and is parasite free
-acts like a typical cat (runs, plays, snuggles)
-not yet spayed (they told me not to spay her when she's in heat and I just can't line up her not being in heat with my job allowing me to take her to the vet)

Fast forward and we now have a year and 2 month old cat! She's very, very petite and recently she stopped eating and is losing weight (weighs 5.6 pounds now). When I noticed, I tried to be more aware of her eating habits. I learned that crunchy foods are hard for her to eat... Her face is flat and she seemed to have difficulties picking the food up. So I gave her wet food (noticed she only showed interest when it was warmed up). She did eat more wet food than dry... But still only maybe 1/4 of a 5oz can. I do have another cat and I'm starting to feed Zilu separately incase Sazz has caused Zilu to be fearful of eating. Anyway, I took her to the vet and they're going to test her thyroid and we'll go from there. I'm thinking maybe she's just a super picky eater?

-Any advice on picky eaters? Or getting cats more comfortable eating? Or foods for cats with flat faces and have a hard time picking up the food?

Thank you! ♥

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdy! Here is some background information on little Zilu:
-resuced from a breeder (Selkirk Rex)
-severe giardia, needed multiple treatments (a year ago)
-purse string suture for prolapsed anus (a year ago)
-now she's a year and 2 months and is parasite free
-acts like a typical cat (runs, plays, snuggles)
-not yet spayed (they told me not to spay her when she's in heat and I just can't line up her not being in heat with my job allowing me to take her to the vet)

Fast forward and we now have a year and 2 month old cat! She's very, very petite and recently she stopped eating and is losing weight (weighs 5.6 pounds now). When I noticed, I tried to be more aware of her eating habits. I learned that crunchy foods are hard for her to eat... Her face is flat and she seemed to have difficulties picking the food up. So I gave her wet food (noticed she only showed interest when it was warmed up). She did eat more wet food than dry... But still only maybe 1/4 of a 5oz can. I do have another cat and I'm starting to feed Zilu separately incase Sazz has caused Zilu to be fearful of eating. Anyway, I took her to the vet and they're going to test her thyroid and we'll go from there. I'm thinking maybe she's just a super picky eater?

-Any advice on picky eaters? Or getting cats more comfortable eating? Or foods for cats with flat faces and have a hard time picking up the food?

Thank you! ♥
I’m not convinced that cats can eat enough in two sittings to meet their daily feeding guidelines. Left to their own, they’d prefer 12 meals a day. Through much trial and error and weekly weighings and sometimes daily carpet cleanings :( I figured out my almost 9 lbs Krista has a 2 oz stomach (1.5 oz right now) and an 8 oz/day requirement to gain weight. Do the math and we have to feed well more than twice a day. We are working our way back to four feeds a day no matter how much she argues with me. Though I’m also looking into a timed feeder solution that isn’t as crappy as the ones currently available for wet food.

Add a late night meal and a second breakfast if she isn’t eating enough in two meals. They don’t have to be evenly spaced apart.