Cat Not Eating After Dental Surgery

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been throwing up for a while. We initially thought it was due to hairballs but as time went on it was clear there was more going on. She had started doing this weird chewing/tilting of the head thing, I could tell there was something wrong. After xrays and bloodwork, my vets were stumped (everything came back clear) until they found a tooth rotting from the inside out. They removed the tooth itself and I think they took part of the gum off for it to heal back over. It seemed that her appetite came back immediately after but a few days she began doing that head tilting thing and has been back to her no eating thing (I offer her everything under the sun.. maybe too much?). It's driving me mad and keeping me up at night. I've already spent over 1000$ on trying to figure out whats wrong, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to dig more into it and my heart is just broken.

Could she be doing all this because she hasnt fully healed yet?? I'm so confused with all this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry this is going on with your baby!
Does she have pain meds?
Have you talked with the vets about this starting up again?

Have you tried giving her Kitten Milk Replacer? Try Kitten Glop - both of these have recipes on the internet...

matrsc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has been throwing up for a while. We initially thought it was due to hairballs but as time went on it was clear there was more going on. She had started doing this weird chewing/tilting of the head thing, I could tell there was something wrong. After xrays and bloodwork, my vets were stumped (everything came back clear) until they found a tooth rotting from the inside out. They removed the tooth itself and I think they took part of the gum off for it to heal back over. It seemed that her appetite came back immediately after but a few days she began doing that head tilting thing and has been back to her no eating thing (I offer her everything under the sun.. maybe too much?). It's driving me mad and keeping me up at night. I've already spent over 1000$ on trying to figure out whats wrong, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to dig more into it and my heart is just broken.

Could she be doing all this because she hasnt fully healed yet?? I'm so confused with all this.

matrsc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry that is happening...I rescued a male tabby about 3yrs ago only to find out he had a feline dental disease called stomatitis...I had 2 dentals done ..most of his teeth are out. I understand the frustration you are going through, Coda is having a rough time also..I have had him back & forth to the Vet several times since his last dental :(... Did your Vet mention stomatitis to you? Or gingivitis ..it seems to be very prevalent in cats. He is on pain meds and a few other things ...good luck!

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they take her temperature? My cat ate right after her dental, then almost stopped. Vet took her temperature and found it slightly high. Yours could have an infection; antibiotic injection might be needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they take her temperature? My cat ate right after her dental, then almost stopped. Vet took her temperature and found it slightly high. Yours could have an infection; antibiotic injection might be needed
We took her in friday night and she has no fever and seems perfectly normal aside ftom that. I'm wondering if I'm offering her too much food and shes just nibbling on it here and there but it's not enough for me to be able to tell. She also hasnt fully healed from the dental surgery yet, so that could be a factor as well.

I'm just hoping my baby gets back to her old self soon!

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry that is happening...I rescued a male tabby about 3yrs ago only to find out he had a feline dental disease called stomatitis...I had 2 dentals done ..most of his teeth are out. I understand the frustration you are going through, Coda is having a rough time also..I have had him back & forth to the Vet several times since his last dental :(... Did your Vet mention stomatitis to you? Or gingivitis ..it seems to be very prevalent in cats. He is on pain meds and a few other things ...good luck!
The rest of her teeth seem good aside from a little bit of plaque. All her tests and check ups came back completely normal. We brought her in on friday and they decided to try a B12 shot (for her vomitting) given once every week for 6 weeks and then once a month after that. I'm hoping all this is related to her not being fully healed :(

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry this is going on with your baby!
Does she have pain meds?
Have you talked with the vets about this starting up again?

Have you tried giving her Kitten Milk Replacer? Try Kitten Glop - both of these have recipes on the internet...
She was on pain meds for a few days but isnt anymore.. shes on something else to prevent infection but thats it as far as management for her dental surgery. She seems very interested in the food, just wont eat it all the time when its offered. She eats here and there just not as much as she used to. I'm hoping it's due to the fact she hasn't fully healed yet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Try some Kitten Glop - find a recipe with goat milk, but there are a lot of varieties of recipes for kitten glop available on the internet. That should help with her hungries :) or get some kitten canned food. Heat it a little, stir to avoid any hot spots and see if she likes that.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try some Kitten Glop - find a recipe with goat milk, but there are a lot of varieties of recipes for kitten glop available on the internet. That should help with her hungries :) or get some kitten canned food. Heat it a little, stir to avoid any hot spots and see if she likes that.
I definitely will! thank you!