Cat not eating 12 days after vet visit/vaccines

Alexijors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, wondering if anyone had any advice at all. Brought my 2.5 year old boy Meeko in for a vet check up December 27 as he had coughed a few times previously and opted for a blood/urine test as well as the FVRCP and rabies vaccines. Meeko was rehomed to us in May so he hadn't had a vet visit/shots since he was a kitten.

He's a bit of an anxious boy so was a bit cagey the day after he vet visit but other than that didn't appear to have an adverse reaction. He's normally a pretty chatty and energetic boy and loves his food. The blood/urine tests results came back all normal too.

Last Sunday, Jan 3rd, he barely touched his food and was quite sleepy/spacey the whole day. Monday he seemed back to normal self.

Yesterday however he did not touch his food as far as I can tell, as well as this morning did not wake us up as usual at 5am for breakfast. When I tried to tempt him with warmed up food and one of those tuna meal toppers, he gave both one or two licks and walked away. No interest in meal time. I thought he was maybe becoming fussy and picky about the wet food brand we feed him so decided to pick up another kind after work. I came home and he hadn't eaten the food I left him at breakfast, as well as he gave no sign of meowing for dinner as he usually does. He would only eat some of the new food if I offered it to him on my fingers. He seemed a bit spacey and sleepy again - no energy or zooming around, and he is currently fast asleep on the bed.

I'm strongly thinking about bringing back to the vet tomorrow, is this a good idea? :( I've read up on vaccines and everything seems to say a reaction usually happens right after the cat receives it, not nearly 2 weeks later

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Alexijors and welcome to TCS!
The answer to 'Is it a good idea to take him back to the vet' is a definite 'yes'. Not eating is a big warning sign. Also cats need to eat regularly. A fasting cat can quite rapidly get very ill as it badly effects the liver.
It's not feasible to say what's going on with him.. only your vet can help with that. Please do make the appointment, and please let us know how he's going. :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, vet visit right away. It's very dangerous for cats to not eat more than 48 hours. They might develop Fatty Liver Disease from not eating alone and that can get fatal.

While at the vet, you can ask to buy a few Fortiflora if they sell individual sachets. The box is expensive but where ı live at least vets sell individual sachets. It's a nice probiotics product to support the immune system but more importantly helps to get them eat too. It can only be given once a day but that's one meal help at least. Regardless of the treatment, if the vet says OK, I would give Fortiflora every day for a week or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexijors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! I was able to coax him into eating some food this morning, but again he seems to have no real drive to eat and was very quiet this morning. No meowing, playing, etc. Made a vet appointment for later today, will update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexijors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet immediately knew something was wrong, said he looked sick and felt hot. Sure enough he had a fever of 104. Got bloodwork done and it all came back fine so vet is unsure what is causing the fever. Meeko was given a shot of medicine (met-something?) to bring down his temperature as well as IV fluids. Brought him home and he looks SO much better already, I put a plate of food in front of him and he scarfed it down!!!

Hopefully the fever stays down :) :) :)