Cat No Longer Lets Me Touch Her Paws!

benzodiazepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a Domestic Shorthair cat when she was 7 months old. I've had her now for 2 months now. I cut her nails every week on all her paws for the first month and she seemed okay with it as long as she's sleeping. Now she pulls away whenever I just touch her hind paws so I haven't had a chance to cut her rear paws for a month now. As for her front paws, if I am quick, I can usually cut just one nail before she pulls away; she doesn't pull away until I am about to make the cut though.

When I cut her nails, I only cut the very tip off and nowhere near the quick. I have never made her bleed but I did split a nail once but it was just on the very surface of the nail which fell off on her bed a couple of days later. Why won't she let me cut her nails anymore? Is there some herb I can let her sniff to calm her down so that she will be more comfortable with it? Catnip makes her hyper and playfully aggressive so that is out of the question.

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be what you are using to cut her nails that makes her pull away. When I had Mac he hated the curved kitty nail clippers but didnt mind me using a reg. toenail clipper (human) on his naials. It went quickly too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benzodiazepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I may give that a try.

But there's still the problem with her pulling back her rear paws as soon as I touch them. Even if I do it while she is sleeping, she will get up and run away. I'm afraid that I will stress her out by bringing her to a vet or groomer to get it done. Some vets told me that they will sedate them if they are problematic for them. Is there something I can give them myself to calm her down enough to let me cut her nails?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also try to do it to my cat Grim when he is asleep or sleepy, and I give him lots of praise and pets during and afterwards, so he puts up with it. If he pulls away his paw, I just grab it back. I only do a few at a time as well, because I want to keep the experience only Mildly annoying, so he will just lay there and let me do it.
Maybe you could keep cutting only one, walk her through it with your words, and then praise her lavishly after you are done. Then, do another a few hours later or even the next day. I think then, she will get used to it. :-)