Cat Neutered Today

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i got my 7-8 month old cat neutered today around 5-7 hours ago. We picked him up around 3 and it’s 5:30. We have him in a carrier and in a dark space but he’s panting up a storm, I’m assuming because it’s hot and nerves. When am I able to give him food and water? The vet told me but I’ve had so much going on the past hour I forgot when she said. She told me to leave him in the carrier till right before I go to sleep tonight and to make sure he doesn’t jump on anything but every room in my house has counters or dressers or cat posts he can climb and potentially fall off of. Plus I go to school tomorrow from 8-12 so I won’t be able to watch him. I’m not sure what to do.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't concern with water but you want to just give him a little bit of food at first and regular meals can usually continue the following morning. They just have a lot of drugs that are wearing off and if they feel super hungry from not eating you don't want them to gorge themselves. Anyway, males usually bounce right back to normal fairly quickly. I usually confine them to a bathroom or smaller space with all their food and litter in there. Also might want to use something other then clay litter in case any gets stuck down there. Did they give you a cone for him to wear? Some vets do and some dont.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only had spayed cats but I give them food and water as soon as they are home. They haven’t eaten since the night before and they need it. I wouldn’t leave him in the carrier in case he needs to use the litterbox.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let him out of the carrier. Offer him some water and some food, but don't let him gorge. Just watch him, jumping isn't horrible for neuters, more for spays. just make sure he isn't weak or wobbly, he may be at first, but I would bet he will walk around the house to orient himself and then go to sleep. My vet says to keep them in the carrier too, but it stresses them out so much I don't know how good that is. Just follow him for a while. By tomorrow, he should be acting fine.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
i got my 7-8 month old cat neutered today around 5-7 hours ago. We picked him up around 3 and it’s 5:30. We have him in a carrier and in a dark space but he’s panting up a storm, I’m assuming because it’s hot and nerves. When am I able to give him food and water? The vet told me but I’ve had so much going on the past hour I forgot when she said. She told me to leave him in the carrier till right before I go to sleep tonight and to make sure he doesn’t jump on anything but every room in my house has counters or dressers or cat posts he can climb and potentially fall off of. Plus I go to school tomorrow from 8-12 so I won’t be able to watch him. I’m not sure what to do.
It's ok to offer food and drink to your boy but he might not eater drink at this moment but he'll eat when he's hungry.

It takes a day or so for the anesthesia to wear off so he should be kinda drowsy now. Take him out of carrier and let him rest in his favorite spot.

It's just two tiny slits on his testicles and it should be ok for him to move around as long as there's no wild running or jumping. Just keep the surgery site clean and dry. Gently dab off litter dust with a soft warm damp towel. He'll lick the surgery site which is ok but not licking it aggressively. The swell at the surgery site will subside in a week or so. Just make sure that it's not infected, having pus or foul smell. If there are signs like this, bring him back to the vet immediately.

The testosterones will slowly diminish in around 6-8 weeks.

My boy was off the cone. He kicked it off the minute he was home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They didn’t give him a cone. I let him out to see if that would do anything but I’m keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t kick too much

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A cone could stress some kitties out. Yes, let him out so that he don't feel so confined. Let him get back to his usual place where his scents are already there and that will calm him down.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like he has a little blood on his testicles but I’m not sure if I should worry or not. I mean he had his surgery only a few hours ago. Is it normal or do I need to keep and eye on it? He’s wobbly but he’s still doped up im assuming. And his favorite spot is on my bed, which he has to jump on and off of

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As long as it's not bleeding non stop. It should clot up later as he's still fresh from the surgery. Keep it dry and the colored stains are just surgery disinfectants.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a foot stool or low piece of furniture you could use so that he has shorter jumps to get to and from the bed?

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do. He keeps licking it. The vet didn’t give me any type of collar to put on him but I don’t want him to lick it raw or anything. I’m not sure what to do. Is it okay for him to lick as long as it’s not a lot?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Slight licking should be ok as he grooms himself and also he's trying to get the smell off but as long as he is not nipping at it.

I think you don't have to worry that much.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s finally eating and drinking. He’s walk normally but still trying to jump up and down off the bed and going to run. But I got him to lay down. I think he’ll be fine I’m just over protective.