Cat needs new toys to keep from boredom

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby decided he wants to be played with 24/7 recently, but the problem with this is he hates all his toys and just ends up shredding my furniture and doors with a furry or crys around the house. I have played with him for hours sometimes and it's still not enough, but usually I play with him 20 minutes in the am and 20 minutes at night time and it's just not enough. I don't know what to do! His foster mommy said he wouldn't do well with other cats, but maybe I should get one anyway!

Anybody have any ideas? I just got him the stringamafling and he liked that for all of 2 hours and now won't play with it at all. I have multiple wand toys that he likes for about 5 minutes. I can't feed him treats anymore because he was very sick recently. I play the stick under the blanket for 5 minutes and he get bored. I'm so frustrated as is he. He also does not like balls or krinkle balls or any balls! I have a cat tree that he sleeps on sometimes. I got a remote mousey from walmart that works not well does anyone know of a relatively cheap remote control mouse that works well? I also got him the laser light that he likes for 5 minutes too...please help!!!

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got Riley a couple turbo tracks for his birthday. You can put them together many ways. When he gets bored after about a week with one way, we switch it up and put it together another way for him. He loves it! Good thing that works as well is putting his toys up for a week, and bringing one back out here and there. Also, the tabs from the milk jugs.

BUT, the best thing is this: Grab some tin foil from your kitchen and roll it into a small ball. Toss it on a floor without carpet. Bam, instant fun. My cats love that.

One more very important item. Kitty cigars. For some reason, above all the other catnip toys out there, these are the only ones they will play with as constantly as they do. It's insane. Check em out.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're pretty much in the same boat there. Our cat doesn't care for her toys, for the most part, but is asking to play with us whenever we're around.

She never touches any of our furniture, but enjoys chewing on the corners of magazines and books that we leave out. Those that are stored in baskets and on shelves, she won't touch. Ones that are left on the floor or tables she just considers a fair game.

She likes one of her wand toys, but only for a little while. Anything that moves on its own - no go. She looks at it and basically rolls her eyes and walks away.
Balls - no go. Every once in a while she'll send one flying, but she won't play with them at all. Tinfoil - nope. Paper bags work as her hiding spots when she's, say, hunting me down.

She'll pick up the kickeroo on her own, as well as one bird filled with catnip that I handcrafted for her. But even this doesn't happen often if we're not involved in play.

On her own, she runs around a lot, jumps all over the furniture and is dying to figure out how to climb the walls.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You already have it, but Da Bird is definitely #1, no doubt. Just throwing that out there for others lurking the thread.

Luckily the two are siblings, so most of the time their playtime involves stalking each other, chasing each other, batting at one another one on each side of an open door, or kitty WRASTLIN. Two kitties obviously isn't always viable though and expensive.

For toy-toys, rattle mice, small rubber bouncy balls on hardfloor, kickeroos, turbotrack w/ blanket, throwing random milk caps or zip ties or big plastic tags or cardboard boxes or whatever on the ground for them to play with are great.

Getting the bird feeder has really captured their interest, and at night I set my back patio light to turn on automatically, and it attracts bugs to the glass door that they chirp and swat vigorously at which they still haven't seemed to get bored of months later.

I try not to buy cat toys anymore though, and just throw random junk at em. Cheap and they play with it just as long it seems.