Cat naming ideas...

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I've never had such trouble naming a cat before, but I'm getting a new baby (the kitty in my profile pic) in March and I'm still not able to decide on a name. I'm obsessing! Help!!

LOL! I know what's going to happen. I'll go to pick him up the first time and the right name will just pop into my head right then and it'll be perfect. That's literally how all my past kitties and doggies have all gotten their names. Everyone keeps telling me to wait until he 'tells' me his name but I can't stop thinking about it!

He's a male Fawn, possibly Lilac British Shorthair male. Most of the names I've been going through have been geek names, video game names, and literature names (I'm a huge Stephen King fan as well). 

Right now the one's I'm batting around are:

Rupert

Delbert

Grady

Rufus

Sheldon

Rumble

Dexter

Watson

Jarvis

Emmett
Giles
Ares
Hermes
Bosley
Odd Thomas
Proxy
Jaypeg
Gif (hard G)
D'argo
Baxter
Haymitch
Owen
Gus (After Asparagus from Practical Cats)
Bumble

Any thoughts or ideas? Even just to say 'wait until you meet him?' 

I appreciate it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oop, forgot to list Jinx in there as well.
Rupert and Delbert are SO cute! I love those!
Yeah, me too. So far I love all of them, and that's the problem! LOL

elemmire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bumble is absolutely adorable, and looking at the picture it's so perfect!! What a cutie, you must be so excited :)

My other fave names from the list are Odd Thomas, Rupert and Gus :)

Good luck, you should let us know what you decide!

xx

nallashuman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a Moriarty to me [emoji]128523[/emoji].. Cute little devil

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys :D So far, Rupert is getting the most votes, here and irl.

I am very, very excited, indeed :D And yes, I will definitely let you know what the official name ends up being. Hopefully there will be new pictures soon as well!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Hello, when I saw the list, I liked Rupert and Bumble, then when I scrolled down to see his pictures, I said he is a Rupert!  But  how about Bumbles?  It is good you are thinking of names because when you meet h

im, one of them will fit just right.  You must be excited!

Emmett is awfully cute, too!  He looks quite distinguished!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He does look like an Emmett to me. I also like Jasper for a name (yes, I like Twilight). You could name him based on color. Grayson would be cute.

deimos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haymitch or Grady for me.  Though  I do like the Moriarty suggestion.  Between Alfred and Rupert, I like Rupert. (Like Rupert Giles from Buffy  (๑^ں^๑))

。^・ェ・^。

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has taken me days after I get a cat/kitten to decide on a name and sometimes the one I decide on don't click with them. My best advise is to get your baby home, watch him and see how he interacts and the right name will pop up.

My Sammy was originally named Benny but it didn't click. I was trying to get his attention and called him Sammy by accident and he turned and looked at me and meowed....Sammy stuck. Same goes with Luci. Her first name was Prim (from Hunger Games) because she was so small and sweet. HAHAHAHA little did we know when she got her strength back she turned into a little devil hence the new name Luci-fur

I have never named a cat/kitten before I've had a chance to watch them first.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my first feral cat I named Lillie, a beautiful Siamese tabby point, brother to my Suzie I think. Anyway, I remember watching him as he walked away from me, noticing these 2 brown sacks on his buttox, under the tail area. It never occured to me, I guess because I had it in my head that my "Lilly" was a female. I did a little investigating over the internet and needless to say, Lilly was immediately renamed to Charlie.

Last edited:

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:D thank you everyone for your input.

I'm still leaning toward Rupert, my fiancee still likes Alfie the best. Funnily enough, I came up with the name Grayson yesterday and mentioned it to her. Now I come on here and see other people suggesting Grayson :D

Great minds and all that, I guess.

I like the name Jasper, but that's out. I had a black and white cow kitty named Jasper for a number of years, and I don't like reusing pet names, it kind of detracts from their individuality.

Every cat I've ever gotten I named the moment I first looked into their eyes. Their 'right' name just popped into my head at that moment. That's probably what will happen with this little guy...I'll see him in person that first time, look into his eyes, and I'll just 'know'. 

Until then, I guess obsessing over names is partly my way of dealing with the excitement of him coming before I actually get to take him home.