Cat names!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia's name was a battle from the word GO. Everything I suggested, hubby hated. Everything I suggested, he hated. We probably spent at least 3 solid hours going back and forth on names. Finally in desperation I went back to my English Lit background and started naming Shakespearian characters. He stopped me on Ophelia and since that was the first one we both liked, that's what it was! It does fit her, though.

Trent was much easier. At first we were going to go with the Shakespear theme but the first (and only) time hubby called the little black kitten Hamlet, I just busted up laughing. That was NOT his name! The kitten was SO enthusiastic about playing, throwing himself all over, flopping here and there and bouncing right back up. He was also very stoic when he wanted his snuggles. So it came down to Trent (for Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, because Trent played just like Trent acted on stage) or Rozz (for Rozz Williams....if you know who Rozz is, you'll know why a black kitten who is slightly whiney and a bit eccentric with the playing would fit). We decided on Trent on the way to the vet for his first checkup.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I adopted Midnight, I had decided I wanted a black cat and would name him/her Mischief. However, Midnight made it clear that his name was Midnight, not Mischief.

Sunshine was named for the song "You are My Sunshine".

Coal came with his name. He was 9 yrs old when we adopted him, we figured he was too old to have to learn a new name. He's The Coal Man (sung like I'm a Soul Man), King Coal, and the USS Coal.

Lilith was named Toy when we adopted her. We said no, she's a cat, not a toy! She is named for Adam's first wife (before Eve), who was quite an independent woman. Lil takes crap from nobody!

Lilith's kittens were named mostly for their appearance, we weren't very creative, I'm afraid! Jules, the firstborn, an orange tabby, is named for the Orange Julius drink. Blondie is a blonde (buff) tabby. Polly is a polydactyl. Silver is a silver tabby. Pan is named for the Greek god Pan, the god of animals and wild places (he is in Wind in the Willows, too!), she has a tabby "M" that looks like horns! Max was named (Maximus) since she was the smallest of the litter and we wanted to give her a name to "grow into".

Romeo was named Sparky when we got him, but that reminded me of the dog from South Park.
After some consideration, we decided that with his lovey dovey personality and good looks, he was a Romeo.

Tillie was named that by her previous owner. Her full name is Tillie Lily, but we call Lilith "Lily" and so dropped the "Lily" from Til's name. Tillie is also Talitha, The Tillinator, and just plain Til.

Sasha was named Pooh Bear when we got him. We decided that with his big poofy coat, he looked like someone bundled up for Siberia, so Sasha he became!

Khepera was originally called Stinky by the person he was taken from by the Humane Society. They changed his name to Tinker, which was far more rescpectable. He had been abused and neglected, and I decided to give him a new name so there was nothing to remind him of his past troubles. He is named for the Egyptian god Khepera (an aspect of Ra, the sun god), Khepera is the god of rebirth, which seemed perfect! We also call him Kepi, which is the cap worn by Civil War soldiers, and it fits cause he lays over top of my head like a hat at night!

Phoenix was adopted literally minutes before she was to be euthanized. Thus we named her for the bird of mythology that rises from the ashes! We've been calling her Phoebix lately, Tybalt came up with that one. He said she is getting chubby, and the "n" in Phoenix is bulging into a "b"

Osiris is named for the King of the Egyptian Gods, keeping with our mythological theme. He mostly answers right now to "Where's the baaaaabeeeee?"

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fluffy-was already being called Fluffy by the lady who was caring for him right before we took him.

Socks-Well he looks like he's wearing Socks!lol

qit el-remel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

Current kitties: Roko is from "Ronin-ko." She's a brave little warrior, and cats have no masters.

Circe was called "Abbra" at the shelter, because she's a witchy cat (long, lean, black, amber-eyed, and mitten-pawed). I didn't like the name; and after considering several (including "Araña," which got her nicknamed "the spiderkitty") I finally settled on a handle for her which still reflects the fact that she's a witchy cat.

Past kitties: Clove was a tortie who was to grow into a striking cat. As a kitten, however, she resembled a little cream tabby gone goth with a bad dye job. I'd once heard a joke about someone "being such a goth that their cat must smoke cloves"...and there you have it. (She has the distinction of being my only fosterling whose name wasn't changed by her new caretaker.)

Magpie (now "Sparky") was a naughty, loud tuxedo kitten with a habit of dragging things off and hiding them. At one point, circumstances beyond any reasonable control required me to keep him in a cage like a bird. (Poor guy...)

As to other names: "Cirrus" would do well for or a dilute calico or blue tortie; "Kismet" for a poly; "Ulthar" for a black tom.

I tend to not give cats blatantly descriptive or "human" names. For example, I'm actually ashamed of having once named a Snowshoe "Siamee." And when I heard that the shelter had named one of Circe's brothers "Tyler," I remarked that since there are so many men with that name, I'd have to change it if I adopted him!

-Qit