Cat Names + stuff

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whisky-My friend actually named him that when she got him as a kitten. He is an Orange tabby so she made a connection with the color of whiskey. (I got Whisky when he was 1 1/2 years old because she didn't want to keep paying pet deposits.) I've had him for 7 1/2 years now.

Oliver-He was already named that when I got him from a vet hospital after someone dumped him on the front door with a note. (in a carrier, at least)

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki my 2 yr. old bouncing Bengal baby boy was appropriately named after the Norse god of mischief!! (hehehehehe)

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sunshine, all black female, named her this because even though she is solid black her eyes glow like the sun in a very potent color of yellow.

Cymone, calico female, we named her this in honor of our little kitty Simon who was hit by a car last year at only 5 months old. ( By the way, we named him Simon cause he just looked like a Simon!! ) We got her shortly after and decided to name her the "female version" of simon. She is very sweet, and looks like a Cymone to me now.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepperpot - hubby named her because she is tortiseshell and the colour looks like a chipotle pepper.

Sugarly - I named her after a character in a fantasy novel. The Character was a male vet named Dr. Sugarly Dobbs, but I thought that it suited her because she is sweet.

Excalibur - I named her after the sword in the stone of Arthurian legend. He is my sweet chunky boy!

Merlin - Named after the Magician. He is a momma's boy and a trouble maker.

Striker - he was striking, although he is never called by his name - we call him Gweeky as he makes little gweeking sounds instead of meows.

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many of my cats have two names - one the pedigree, and one the "house" name:

Swan (Cobber)
Different Drummer (Denzil)
Cadfael (Mausi)
Fairisle
ShakespEARean Sonnet (Sonnet)
Isabella
Beatrice (Bea) (our first litter, Much Ado aAbout Nothing names) siblings, Benedick, Claudio, Hero)
Susanna (Suzu)(A Mozart year - siblings Figaro, Cherubino, Il Conte, La Contessa)
Pamina (same year, the Magic Flute quartet, siblings Regina della Notte, Tamino, Papageno)
Ear My Song (Vivi)(Three Folds in a litter of three, so I celebrated by calling them all by Ear names! Her brothers were Ear I Come (Cosmo) and Ears to You (Snooks)
Like an Angel (Angel), from Henry V: siblings Harry the King, Muse of Fire
Shalimar
Katie L. (a single kitten, named after my favourite Chat, KTL)

The kittens who will be leaving are all named after fellow moderators or members of the above: Cinnamindy, Antony-Bagpuss, York Harper, Shani, Teigh Tathal, Tora Chan, Robert and Pern Dragon

Esme

nathalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sasha...my tortie. Mom wanted to call her Ginger, I said no. no special meaning. aka, Chubs, muffin, pumpkin, and any other pet name I come up with.

Tag...daughter of Sasha. When she was little and her sister would start to venture out of the box, Tag would put her paw on sissy's back and "tag" her. (I let Mom name her)...aka Taggles

Turtle...daughter of Sasha, sister of Tag. As a baby, she took awhile getting her back legs under her, so when she walked she looked like a swimming turtle. aka, monkey, bobbins, and a million other dumb things.

In the Past:
White Socks: my first stray when I was 8. black w/ white socks
Tigger: used to be a big Pooh fan, striped grey kitty.
Herculese: Scrawny little boy with long legs and big ears who thought he was tough stuff

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My neighbor below me has a all black cat named "sh*thead". Largest female cat I have ever seen (15-20 lbs.)

Steve Martin named his dog "Sh*thead" in the movie "The Jerk". Maybe that is where he got the name.

elisabeth provo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Yola,
my Maine Coon is named Pinsel (that´s like painting brush in German) Because of those lovely tufts in her ears.Our domestic shorthair is called Lily,Her predecessor was called Bibi. Iwas told that cats react and answer best to the i vowel.Our first cat was named Oscar because the children liked the name. Then we had NIKE (the Greek goddess of victory). My husband is half Greek).So much about names for cats
All the best Elisabeth

flimflam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moogie was named after a character from Star Trek: DS9 - there are a family of Ferengis and Moogie is the affectionate term for mother in Ferengi. Plus she was naked and didn't understand the rules of acquisition.

Alf after a kid's TV series from the 80s - Alien Life Form.

Veronica - she was going to be a Bernadette, but my partner was concerned at the Irish catholic connections.... I told him the tale of St Veronica about a month after he accepted the name. Plus her colouring is similar to Kirstie Ally's hair in the early series of Veronica's Closet.

I can't remember why Reg became a Reg