Cat Nail Infection?

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet on Thursday and they cut her nails (it had been the second time in 30 days that she had her nails cut).

Thursday night after we got home, she seemed fine. Friday night, she spent the whole night scratching her nails on the bed sheets and biting at her nails.

Can cats catch anything from shared nail clippers? I know they had just brought in an infected little kitten from off the street and had clipped its nails recently. I wonder if they used the same clippers on my cat and transferred something itchy. I know it's possible for humans, but is it for cats?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sure that clippers could transfer something. But i would very much hope the vet disinfected the clippers, and always does between cats?

I know my cats do groom their nails, time on the scratching posts, and they also lick and bite at them sometimes. But if its excessive, or out of the norm, for your cat i might have the vet give her a check.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats sometimes do the scratching/biting thing after a nail trim. Cat nails seem to grow in layers, with a new nail growing beneath the old one. When you trim the nail, the bottom layer of the old one remains and starts peeling off. I think the cat grooms its nails trying to get that sheath off.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Silken, I had one cat who shed the top layer of his claws. I often saw claws lying on the floor around my house and always wondered why only he shed claws.