Cat Mourning - Help

naddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, My name is Naddy Webb, and I'm new to the site (though I read a lot of articles here often).

We lost one of our two babies to AKD (Acute Kidney Disease) just yesterday at a tender age of just 1 year 2 weeks old. It devastated us between me, my husband and her feline companion. Our baby was a DLH/half Persian breed, and we adopted her last August. She was a happy little tyke, though spent most of her time sleeping. We had her and the other tyke spayed in October when they hit 6 months at the time. They were just a few days apart and they were inseparable and strictly indoor cats.

She got sick a little over a month ago, with a fever, but we thought it was just that at the time, because she recovered then, but she fell into relapse and been in and out of the sickness for the month. We didn't know her problem was kidneys, because her pee wasn't bloody etc, and our vet checked it aswell. So the first batch of betamox (anti-biotics) didn't seem to dent her issue, so she was put on Baytril (stronger form of antibiotics), but she succumbed to her disease yesterday. Prior to that she had violent seizures and it broke our heart to see her gone at such a young age.

Our vet did his best, and it affected him as much as we were because he was always been her doctor since we adopted her. She had a violent seizure yesterday morning, just before we rushed her to her vet, and she had some medications injected (cant remember what it was as I was too devastated) and her seizures stooped. She was fine up to noon, but she passed on 2 hours later, in her sleep as the vet wanted to observe her for the day, we buried her the same day too.

Our vet suspected that it could be genetics, because I checked with her former owner (a cat breeder) that her grandfather had the same problem. Also suspicions is her diet, because she does prefer dry food - although I feed them both canned food everyday and they have never missed their vitamins. So losing her was really hard on us.

Now, her companion who actually had a hard time adjusting to the loss, because you see, when we first adopted her, 2 weeks prior, she lost her sibling to a freak accident - we werent around at the time, as we were travelling so, our caretaker took care of her.. Basically she's been losing all the close companions to her in her little life. 

Since yesterday, she has been more affectionate and clingy than she usually does - which we suspected from a grieving cat. She has been eating fine, and does her litterbox business just fine too and she has been sleeping with us at night because we didn't want to leave her alone outside our room. I tried to keep her busy by playing with her as usual as my vet suggest to keep the routine as normal as possible for her. Every now and then, she goes to the places where her little friend used to sleep, and just stare into space - which broke my heart because I know she misses her.

My husband and I discussed about it, that we wanted to observe her a few days to see how shes coping. Because a friend of mine wanted to let us care another cat thats littermates of the deceased one. (they look exactly the same as they were quadruplets). Killing two birds with one stone, one of the reason is because our friend has been busy with school and work and has not been able to give her some attention (also an indoor cat). She has 3 other kitties, but they do not get along well. even it has been 8 months since the adoption. 

But I'm wondering whether we should give it a shot, because we both know our lonely baby right now strictly needed feline companion, but at the same time we worry that we can cause more harm than good. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I hope I posted this on the right section

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Naddy,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Cats absolutely grieve and like humans, they do so in their own time. While I think it's probably a good idea to look at a companion for her in the long run, for right now, I agree with your vet. You cat is in a tough place and accepting a newcomer, no matter how well intentioned, will be very hard for her. I would hold off for now and keep as many of her routines as normal as possible. eventually you'll see her settle back into her old self and her old patterns. Once that happens, then you can think of a companion for her, but for right now, I would suggest just letting her work through her grief in her own time.

naddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI Freya. Thank you so much for the advice. I have been observing her behavior over the last few days. She eats, defecates, and seemed normal but she still goes every now and then to the corners where her deceased sister used to hangout and she just stayed there staring into space. I worry that she would be severely depressed as this was not the first time happened to her. I'm lucky enough to be around her as often because I'm a journalist and can work from home.

I keep her in our bedroom every night so she won't be left alone outside our room. She seems comfortable which is good.

naddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that we did try to have a play date with one of my cousins cats. And from there we knew she definitely missed having feline companion. She was excited and pretty upbeat about it that she slept so well last night