Cat mom

Meowmix777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help my cat gave birth today ( didn’t even know she was pregnant but wondered about it ) she gave birth to one kitten she is caring for her kitten but how will I know if she is finished giving birth ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she does have more she will have them when her body is ready. Is the kitten nursing mom well?

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you see or feel any movement in her abdomen? The uterus will feel lumpy after birth and some times people mistake that for a kitten.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need help my cat gave birth today ( didn’t even know she was pregnant but wondered about it ) she gave birth to one kitten she is caring for her kitten but how will I know if she is finished giving birth ?
How is it going?

Yeah, sometimes you really dont know; done or more to come?? Especielly as shorter or longer pauses in between deliveries are common.

The basic recipe is easy:

If you dont see any problems, momma seems OK, happily busying herself with the already born kitten(s), you observe but can calmly wait and see.

This works nicely both if she is done but perhaps swollen in the uterus, and it works too if you KNOW there are more.

BUT if you notice there ARE problems; active labor without results of course, obvious pains, fever, bleeding more than some droplets or some red discharge, etc - yes you worry and contact your vet... If real need you rush her in to the vet.
The active labor without results is the most urgent of course, and so is a heavy bleeding.