Cat meows really loud for a long time at certain hours

flellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I love my cat, Pepper and I want him to be happy and comfortable.  But lately, these last few weeks or so, Pepper has been meowing like a machine gun or fire alarm during certain hours of the day (like at 5:30 in the morning or later in the afternoon).  He clearly wants something but I don't know what he wants: he has food, he has my attention to be petted and get affection, his litter boxes are clean and he has toys.  I want to help him and give him what he needs, but I don't know what to do.  Any advice on what to do?

Thanks

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is Pepper and is he neutered? Also, when was his last check up? Could his hearing be a little off?

My friend has a cat who exclusively meows (and very loud by the way) in the early mornings and late afternoons, but the vet says it is just a behavior for attention.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, with my cats this would mean they are bored and want some playtime with me (with a wand or fishing rod type toy or laser pointer.)  At our house leaving toys out isn't enough, they want me to play with them and make the toys move so they can "hunt."  That's been my experience, but of course I'm not sure that is what is going on with Pepper.  Sometimes a behavior change can indicate a health problem...something else to consider.  Good luck with Pepper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is Pepper and is he neutered? Also, when was his last check up? Could his hearing be a little off?
My friend has a cat who exclusively meows (and very loud by the way) in the early mornings and late afternoons, but the vet says it is just a behavior for attention.
Pepper is 10 years old and yes he is neutered.  He was checked 6 months ago in January. I am taking him to the vet next week.  And I like I said, if he wants attention, he's got anytime he wants it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, with my cats this would mean they are bored and want some playtime with me (with a wand or fishing rod type toy or laser pointer.)  At our house leaving toys out isn't enough, they want me to play with them and make the toys move so they can "hunt."  That's been my experience, but of course I'm not sure that is what is going on with Pepper.  Sometimes a behavior change can indicate a health problem...something else to consider.  Good luck with Pepper.
I'll try that now..playing with the toys.  Let's see if that works.

Thanks, Jeff