Cat Meows Excessively At Night

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my older cat, spooky, won’t stop meowing at the same time every night in my new apartment (8pm). The meowing is loud and excessive and sometimes throaty like he is in distress. I work at night during the week, I leave out at around 10 pm. I thought that was the cause separation anxiety, but when I didn’t leave for the night he still did it. I don’t want my neighbors to start to complain, so I would like some advice for solutions. He dosent meow during the day at all, he usually just cuddles with me or walks around or sleeps in his spot above the stove on a high cabinet or looks out the window
I made a thread about him and my other cat not getting along and they haven’t been fighting as much. They’re getting better so I don’t think she had anything to do with it either

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried any calming products, treats, collars or music? MusicForCats . com might help or low volume classical harp music.
If there's an animal in another apartment that's bothering him the calming products might relax him, or you could even try a fan, (blowing in a direction that won't matter) for white noise for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is "older"? If he's over 10, he may be beginning to have some cognitive issues. Or, his night vision may be dimming some, leaving him confused and anxious at night. This was the case with my girl, and leaving a lamp on in my living room with nightlights in the other rooms put a stop to it very nicely.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cats just seem to have these periods of walking and loudly meowing. Don’t know what it means but most seem to do it. If he only does it around eight, hopefully your neighbors can’t hear her over their own noise. You can try to distract him by giving him a treat puzzle to occupy him. An easy and inexpensive one is to cut a few holes is a plastic water bottle and then add treats or kibble to it and cap it so kitty needs to bat it around to get the goodies out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is "older"? If he's over 10, he may be beginning to have some cognitive issues. Or, his night vision may be dimming some, leaving him confused and anxious at night. This was the case with my girl, and leaving a lamp on in my living room with nightlights in the other rooms put a stop to it very nicely.
He’s around 5. I don’t think it’s the lights, because he does it regardless if they’re on or off.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried any calming products, treats, collars or music? MusicForCats . com might help or low volume classical harp music.
If there's an animal in another apartment that's bothering him the calming products might relax him, or you could even try a fan, (blowing in a direction that won't matter) for white noise for him.
Thank you for this advice. I’m going to definitely look into calming products.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Older cats just seem to have these periods of walking and loudly meowing. Don’t know what it means but most seem to do it. If he only does it around eight, hopefully your neighbors can’t hear her over their own noise. You can try to distract him by giving him a treat puzzle to occupy him. An easy and inexpensive one is to cut a few holes is a plastic water bottle and then add treats or kibble to it and cap it so kitty needs to bat it around to get the goodies out.
I told my fiancé about this treat idea. I hope so too because he’s so loud! :( hopefully the treats along with the other ideas work in due time.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Gosh I'm sorry!
Low volume music isn't helping? A fan didn't help?
No :( and now he’s doing it not just at night but in the mornings. He won’t stop till about 3pm despite all the suggestions. He’s simply not adjusting as well as my other cat and I’m not sure what to do. I may have to take him to the vet to make sure it’s not a health problem

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think a vet trip may well be indicated. There may be a physical problem that's causing this, or the vet may be able to prescribe a calming agent.