Cat Meows During the Night

friendofcats75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

My cat meows during the night....almost like she is calling another cat or making sure I am still in the house. If I wake up and call her name, she stops meowing right away. I do leave a few lights on in the house so she has a night light of sorts. I have owned her for a month (rescued from the local animal shelter) and the meowing pretty consistently happens each night. Any ideas on why she is meowing or what I can do to help her?? Thanks!!

roccotherussian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Couple of suggestions, but may not suit your case.

# make sure she has plenty of food and water before you go to bed. My little guy certainly lets me know if his bowl was empty by being very vocal.

# I have a routine which I introduced a month ago because he was jumping up on my while I was sleeping at all hours of the night. Just before I plan to go to bed I play with my cat for at least 30minutes or as long as I can hold his attention, then I give him his wet feed and then we go to bed. He seems to sleep longer through the night because I have tired him out and he has a full belly. He now wakes up after 4am and it getting less disruptive. Maybe you can reset your cats body clock this way so he's not wandering the house meowing.

Let me know how you go :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friendofcats75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi: Thank you for the advice. I will try playing with her just before bedtime to see if that tires her out more. Maybe she will sleep later into the night. Interesting thing for me is that my cat meows more on some nights than others. A few nights back, I did not hear her until close to 5am. Last night, she meowed off and on from 3am almost until the time when I got up. She has plenty of food and water during the night and her litter box has been clean too. Hopefully, the playing before bed will help :)