Cat Meows at Nothing

merlinaaddams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had our cat Punky for almost four months now. Recently (past few weeks) she's been giving a wailing, pitiful meow while frantically wandering around the apartment. She's restless. What could be the problem with her? She seems healthy otherwise, eats and drinks normally. We also have a cat that is about 4 months old and they get along very well and play together, so I don't think Punky feels lonely. She also shows an obessession with the mirror. She stands in front of it and paws at it. Side Note: Punky is around 8 months old. We had her spayed but apparently the vet missed some tissue and as a result she goes into heat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MerlinaAddams

We had her spayed but apparently the vet missed some tissue and as a result she goes into heat.
That's your problem then, she's in heat. She needs another operation to remove the remaining tissue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlinaaddams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

That's your problem then, she's in heat. She needs another operation to remove the remaining tissue.
I don't think she's in heat, we've seen her in heat before. Although maybe she's gradually going into heat again. She's not this restless when she's in heat and I don't recall ever seeing her like this before. But I do think that it is a possibility that she's going into heat. I'm just worried that there's something wrong with her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They get more restless and vocal each time they cycle. Some will vocalise for days before doing the rest of the tarty behaviours.

Some vets will re-do the operation for free or cheaper, if it's the same one who did the original spey.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Any change in cat behavior that lasts for a few weeks is a good reason for a vet check-up. You never know what they may come up with. I remember a cat that started meowing at dusk and the vet discovered that the cat was gradually going blind and thus stressed when it was getting darker. Some conditions are just hard to see with an untrained eye.

Once your vet gives the medical all clear, there are some behavioral issues to be considered. Essentially, you're looking for causes for potential stress. Have you had/made any changes in the apartment lately? moving things, changes in routine, new people in the home, new stimuli from outside? some cats are just more sensitive than others and react vocally.

Also, some cats are just more vocal than others and at 8 months old, she could just be developing that personality trait.