Cat Meowing....

vertigho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my cat, Bruce has become particularly vocal, especially early in morning.

He has always been a very vocal cat, and if I ever forget to let him out in the morning, he'll always meow - around 9 AM or so.

With that said, he has become more vocal earlier on. The previous week he was meowing all night while walking around and standing at my bedroom door, as if he was bored, wanted attention, or wanted out of my room. Just yesterday he became very vocal in the morning, but a little earlier than usual. He was meowing up a storm around 8 AM. He stood at the door and meowed and meowed. If I called him he would come over and let me pet him for about 5 seconds. Then he was back over at the door and holler'in again.

It's clear that he isn't in distress. During the day when he has the run of the house he's completely fine. I'll hear the occasional meow/chirp, but he acts completely like himself. He's still active, eating, affectionate, and his bathroom habits are perfect. He's 1-year and saw a vet recently and got a "clean" bill of health. Needless to say, he's completely healthy - the meowing is not due to sickness or discomfort.

With that said, does anyone know why he may be meowing, and how I can stop it. As I said, he has always been a vocal cat, but a bit more-so lately. What could be causing this and how can I get him to stop? Just so you know, here's a brief run-down of how he has acted:

Last week:
Monday - meow all night
Tuesday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Wednesday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Thursday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Friday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Saturday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)

This week:
Sunday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Monday - meow in morning at 9 AM (normal for him)
Tuesday - meow starting around 4:30 to 5 AM on and off
Wednesday - meow starting around 8 AM

Again, once I let him out of the room in the morning, the meowing completely stops.

Thanks in advance,
-Vert

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce is still just a kitten, he's going to have more energy than an older cat. Maybe you need to play with him more to run off some energy? Also, from what you have written there, it looks like he has been acting normal except for last monday, this tuesday, and this wednesday? That doesn't sound too bad. Also, might I ask why you close your bedroom door at night with him in there? He just wants to be let out, and maybe leaving the door open a crack would help, since he could have the run of the house. My cats get the run of the house at night, and they have never woken me up with vocalizations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vertigho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Bruce is still just a kitten, he's going to have more energy than an older cat. Maybe you need to play with him more to run off some energy? Also, from what you have written there, it looks like he has been acting normal except for last monday, this tuesday, and this wednesday? That doesn't sound too bad. Also, might I ask why you close your bedroom door at night with him in there? He just wants to be let out, and maybe leaving the door open a crack would help, since he could have the run of the house. My cats get the run of the house at night, and they have never woken me up with vocalizations
I keep the bedroom door closed because we have dogs. My father wakes up at around 5 AM and lets the dogs downstairs. As you can see, it wouldn't work allowing the cats to have the run of the house.

You are correct, in that he has only been "strange" last Monday and this Tuesday and Wednesday. Again though, he has been acting completely normal otherwise and when he's meowing he isn't in any kind of distress. He's walking around the room and sitting at the door. When I let him down he immediately shuts-up, and he's acting completely perfect otherwise.