cat meowing in distress

mtl00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
recently my cat has been more vocal then ever, she mews a lot, and i think she has weak lungs so her meows are weak, but even more recently my cat would leave the room im in and start meowing like shes in distress, and as soon as she shes me shed start meowing normal again, shes also been more needy than ever recently wanting to get pet etc,

does anyone know what this could mean?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi mtl00, is your cat spayed? If not she is yowling to mate. The other thing is she could be seeking attention and asked to be carried etc.
have you tried carrying her when she does that? Sometimes they just want to be by you. Worse thing I can think of that she is sick or in pain. Then if that is the case, a visit to the vet is good. Other than that, don't think you have to worry that much but just spend more time with her and talk more often to her ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtl00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi mtl00, is your cat spayed? If not she is yowling to mate. The other thing is she could be seeking attention and asked to be carried etc.
have you tried carrying her when she does that? Sometimes they just want to be by you. Worse thing I can think of that she is sick or in pain. Then if that is the case, a visit to the vet is good. Other than that, don't think you have to worry that much but just spend more time with her and talk more often to her ;)
thank you for ypur response, after doing some more research i realized she is in heat, i do pick her up but she loses interest in being carried after a few moments, she has been rubbing her face on my hands more, rolling more and ocassionally going into the intercourse sqaut position, one thing that does worry me that i haven't seen online is her peeing pattern, she would pee, then a minute later she'd pee again, and the pees wouldn't be that big compared to her usual pee size (in clumping litter). i don't know if this is cat in heat behaviour or sick behaviour but i'm going to take her to the vet soon to remove her abscess (for the second time, first time vet didn't get it all). ill tell the vet about it then, her poop is a little concerning too, sometimes it shows signs of constipation being in small round peices but sometimes they one or two big peices, also her poop has been darker recently ever since i started buying her expensive food, royal canin (but now i realize how crap this food is after some research) i don't know if i should put her back on the cheaper food, because i'm not sure if its the food thats causing this, (she was very sick and didn't eat for two days and that when i started buying the more expensive food) and thats when her poop darkened, but her consecutive peeing is more recent.

im thinking of putting her on a raw diet but i don't know a place where i can blend meet and i don't know where to find the supplements and vitamins i need to add to the meat,

This is kinda gross but its tells us a lot about their health. How is yur cats poops? Eating normal and everything?
her poop is darker than usual, sometimes in pieces sometimes in a couple big peices, when she pees sometimes she does it in two times, she pees walks out and then walks back and pees again.
she has been eating less than she used to before se was majorly sick and healed again, her energy level are normal and shes active

She's in heat.
precisely thanks

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for ypur response, after doing some more research i realized she is in heat, i do pick her up but she loses interest in being carried after a few moments, she has been rubbing her face on my hands more, rolling more and ocassionally going into the intercourse sqaut position, one thing that does worry me that i haven't seen online is her peeing pattern, she would pee, then a minute later she'd pee again, and the pees wouldn't be that big compared to her usual pee size (in clumping litter). i don't know if this is cat in heat behaviour or sick behaviour but i'm going to take her to the vet soon to remove her abscess (for the second time, first time vet didn't get it all). ill tell the vet about it then, her poop is a little concerning too, sometimes it shows signs of constipation being in small round peices but sometimes they one or two big peices, also her poop has been darker recently ever since i started buying her expensive food, royal canin (but now i realize how crap this food is after some research) i don't know if i should put her back on the cheaper food, because i'm not sure if its the food thats causing this, (she was very sick and didn't eat for two days and that when i started buying the more expensive food) and thats when her poop darkened, but her consecutive peeing is more recent.

im thinking of putting her on a raw diet but i don't know a place where i can blend meet and i don't know where to find the supplements and vitamins i need to add to the meat,
her poop is darker than usual, sometimes in pieces sometimes in a couple big peices, when she pees sometimes she does it in two times, she pees walks out and then walks back and pees again.
she has been eating less than she used to before se was majorly sick and healed again, her energy level are normal and shes active
precisely thanks
It is very stressful on her body for her to be in heat. It can definitely change her litter box habits. However, you should speak to the vet about the possibility of a urinary infection as well. Have you reconsidered spaying her at all?

It doesn't sound like the Royal Canin is agreeing with her. It could be a protein allergy. You are correct that you will need a supplement for any raw feeding you do. Have you tried feeding her wet food?

mtl00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is very stressful on her body for her to be in heat. It can definitely change her litter box habits. However, you should speak to the vet about the possibility of a urinary infection as well. Have you reconsidered spaying her at all?

It doesn't sound like the Royal Canin is agreeing with her. It could be a protein allergy. You are correct that you will need a supplement for any raw feeding you do. Have you tried feeding her wet food?
i have not reconsidered

i am for the most part, against spaying cats

i hope you can respect that ,

i would let her out and allow her to mate if it weren't for my mom who would kick my cat out if she had babies, however her sister is an outside cat and i am hoping she gets her heat cycle soon and brings some kitties to this world.

i feed her wet food every other day, sometimes everyday, alao royal canine, kitten instinctive.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have not reconsidered

i would let her out and allow her to mate if it weren't for my mom who would kick my cat out if she had babies, however her sister is an outside cat and i am hoping she gets her heat cycle soon and brings some kitties to this world.

i feed her wet food every other day, sometimes everyday, alao royal canine, kitten instinctive.
I find this to be very upsetting. Any cat who is having kittens should be allowed a warm, safe place to raise them. You are putting her and her babies at risk, and she can't control how many litters or how many babies she has. Each mating, heat cycle, and pregnancy is also a large health risk, especially if you don't trust the vets in your area.

Ultimately I feel that these medical choices are not to their benefit. I do support your right to not spay your 100% indoor cat, though I do personally disagree, but I really feel for the young cats outside.

Last edited:

mtl00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find this to be very upsetting. Any cat who is having kittens should be allowed a warm, safe place to raise them. You are putting her and her babies at risk, and she can't control how many litters or how many babies she has. Each mating, heat cycle, and pregnancy is also a large health risk, especially if you don't trust the vets in your area.

Ultimately I feel that these medical choices are not to their benefit. I do support your right to not spay your 100% indoor cat, though I do personally disagree, but I really feel for the young cats outside.
where i live is quite warm, and they have a safe place in the compound i live in, lots of leftover food from humans and lots of birds to eat, in addition to the two daily meals i feed them, i think they are fine,

as for each heat cycle being a health risk, so is periods for women, and prostate cancer for men, but we don't go and spay eachother do we, like i've said before i see this as part of nature, and i thank you for respecting my choices

however i wouldn't like everypost i make to turn into an argument about whether cats should be spayed or not, perhaps i'll make another post for that,

further more, would you say its necessary for me to blend bones to mives with minced meat to give along with the supplement for a raw diet?

also what kind if supplements would i need? i thank you in advance for any info you may provide me with (perhaps i should ask this in nutrition subforum)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
where i live is quite warm, and they have a safe place in the compound i live in, lots of leftover food from humans and lots of birds to eat, in addition to the two daily meals i feed them, i think they are fine,

as for each heat cycle being a health risk, so is periods for women, and prostate cancer for men, but we don't go and spay eachother do we, like i've said before i see this as part of nature, and i thank you for respecting my choices

however i wouldn't like everypost i make to turn into an argument about whether cats should be spayed or not, perhaps i'll make another post for that,

further more, would you say its necessary for me to blend bones to mives with minced meat to give along with the supplement for a raw diet?

also what kind if supplements would i need? i thank you in advance for any info you may provide me with (perhaps i should ask this in nutrition subforum)
Yes, please direct your questions under Cat Nutrition sub forum Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have not reconsidered

No I can't respect that. There are millions of unwanted and homeless cats and kittens now. Why in the world do you want to bring more into the world when you can't even give them a safe home to live in?

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with her being in heat. But that doesn't really effect her bowel movements. Changing her food could easily add to this heat being more extreme then the others but I dont know if changing her back right away would be the best thing. Maybe do a half n half mixture. I mainly feed my cats regular food and not cat food so I'm not sure which brands are the best but just do some research and choose what's best for yu ( nutrients/price).