Cat Meowing At Door: Ignoring Is Not Working!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is starting to really frustrate me. I have spent months ignoring her behavior. All it does is cause her to Meow even louder and scratch even harder at my door.

Im buying some tape for my door to stop the scratching.

Has anyone tried the Scat device? I was reading it blows air at the cat. The price is ridiculous. But i cant keep going without sleep. I live an hour away from my job. The sleepless nights just makes me wake up angry and frustrated.

The ideal solution would be a device like the Catsomat, it is a refrigerated wet food feeder, but it is no longer being sold =(

I would love a wet food feeder which responds to a cats micro chip, since i have two cats. if they could just eat on their own, i know it would satisfy my cats obsessive hunger.

its 4:40 AM so im a bit delirious lol

mjhenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anyway to put them further from your room? Can you sleep with a box fan on high to drown out their meows? One of my cats likes to meow in the middle of my night (i work 3rd shift so I sleep during the day) and he just wants attention. We have to keep our bedroom door open because our other cat likes sleeping with us. So when he wakes me up, I get up, pick him up without saying anything and place him in the cat's room and shut the door (we have a spare bedroom where we have one of their litter boxes, their cat tree, and their window seat) and then let him out when I wake up.

It sucks that this happening because it puts a strain on the relationship with your cats because you end up resenting them and causes a crappy start to your day.

So yea, is there anywhere you can put them them while you sleep where they can't bother you but aren't super cooped up?

One recommendation I've see as well is don't feed them you first wake up. Have your coffee, get ready for work, and then as the very last thing feed them so they don't associate you waking up with food time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't get fed until after I've showered and dressed. My cat is needy and will come get me even if she has food.

I'm currently at my sister's house so I don't really have anywhere to keep them. I'll look into drowning her out. I don't really use fans. But I'll see what other noise I can use.

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi you could try Mack's earplugs.
Also what about stacking two dishes with an ice pack between?
Or freezing portions of the food and putting that out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to leave out food over night with ice packs. She would eat it all and beg for food on the morning. I haven't tried it frozen. Would she eat it frozen? Lol

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see that you're thinking its food related (my cat wakes me up to eat too) but I also know that when my cat was living with other cats (my roommates) she would go out into the living room and cry at 2 am for the other cats to come out and play.

All of us had to keep our doors open at night so they could go in and out (I propped mine open by keeping a shoe stuck behind it so the cats could slam the door open while playing).

If I tried to bring Mika into my room and lock her in during the night she would get frantic and try to pull the door open which was NO fun and more annoying than her screaming (we call it that as a joke because her meows are relatively soft) for her friends.