Cat meowing all night

purdysmom7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Although I hope to become a long term member!

I am a very proud cat mama to a 4 year old persian fawn named Purdy. He's been with me since he was 2 months old and I love him very much.

A bit of background on him: He's neutered and has been since he turned one. He's an entirely indoor cat. He has been diagnosed and treated for both conjunctivitis and ear mites. I discovered both infections when I adopted him and being that both infections are recurring, I have been treating both infections on and off since then. He is otherwise seemingly healthy, happy and thriving. He is the only pet in my household right now. I previously had fish but one died quite some time ago and the other died more recently.

Now, onto my questions!

My cat has this annoying habit of coming into my bedroom between three and eight in the morning and either sitting on the bedside table and meows his head off, beside the bed and meows his head off, or (and this is the most annoying one) he'll sit next to my head on my pillow and meow his head off while scratching at the wall next to the bed.

I've read about how cats can hear and see things we can't such as small bugs, critters in the walls, spirits, etc... but it really doesn't seem to be that. He is a bit spoiled and I tend to give him a treat to shut him up but it never works so I stopped doing that.

Could it be that he's just spoiled and bothering me for treats or because he's lonely? Hungry? In pain? It doesn't seem to be hunger or pain as he always has fresh food and water. I have wondered about him being lonely seeing as he is the only pet in my household right now.

I try to play with him a lot throughout the day to ensure that he's satisfied when I go to bed although some days I'm unable to play with him as often but he does get plenty of attention, love and affection.

We did move recently. Four months ago to be exact. It was a long trip (four and a half hours) and his first big trip in the car. He cried and panted a bit during the trip but upon arriving at the new house he seemed perfectly fine and he adjusted fairly quickly. Within a day actually.

So, what do you guys think the problem is? Loneliness? Attention seeking? Maybe he loves me so much that he doesn't want to me to spend time away from him haha... or maybe he thinks I should sleep on his schedule! Could it be ghosts? Our house is quite old - from the 1800's and it was part of the underground rail road but I've yet to see any signs that it's haunted.

Thoughts?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is a bit spoiled and I tend to give him a treat to shut him up but it never works so I stopped doing that.
Well, now he has trained you to give him a treat when he does that, so you will have to retrain him, which can be difficult. You must not react at all (either positively or negatively); any reaction is usually enough for cats to continue the behavior. I would also try to make the play time right before bed time and tire him as much as possible to get him to sleep longer. Give him a treat right after the play session. It may take some time, but he will eventually learn.