Cat meowing a lot

meruumeruu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My newest cat, Toby, has begun meowing at seemingly nothing. He's been doing it for a few months but it's getting a little more frequent. He's not quite an adult cat but I think he might just be about ready to be neutered, because I think he's been spraying. He's still got a sweet little kitten mew though, and he keeps meowing at something I can't see. 

He is outside though, so I'm seeing him through a window. He'll sit and meow either staring under the bikes or at a spot in the driveway beyond my view, until he notices me watching and then he meows at me. It doesn't sound like he's hurt, or even all that distressed, mostly like he's chatting or he wants someones attention. At first I almost thought he was calling birds, but he doesn't quite sound chirpy enough, perhaps he's talking to mice? The old neighbors left their cat and she hangs around our house, but I don't think he likes her very much so I don't think he'd be calling to her.

Should I be concerned or should I just schedule more playtime? He's not alone, he has two more cats to play with, but maybe he wants more people time? Or is this part of getting older? I wasn't around my oldest male cat enough to really notice this kind of behavior, as the cats had free run of the yard when he was this age, and they're the only boy cats I've ever had so I'm really at a loss. 

Another thing is...back when he was still allowed to wander around outside we had another cat who he spent all of his time with, Kiki. She was like his big sister, and I wonder if he might be calling to her? But she died in November...she was really torn up...which is why the cats are in their (moderately expansive) pen now. He saw her though, he was there and getting underfoot as we took her body and then buried her so he must know shes gone. Right?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did it start when she died? i would play with him more

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pets definitely can grieve when they lose someone close to them, so a little extra cuddle time wouldn't hurt. It's a good idea to let the other cats view a body, I think it may give them a little closure. But I know they keep looking for the lost one for a long time too. Please accept my condolences for your loss, and my happiness that you have let a new baby into your life.

I think though that a lot of it is most likely hormonal, any tom over six months is becoming sexually charged up and he doesn't know how to handle the pressure. Any kitten over two pounds can be neutered. You must get him neutered soon if he is spraying, it will become a permanent habit very quickly! All the luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meruumeruu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't really start until a month or so after she had died which is why I'm confused. 

As for neutering, I plan to as soon as I can make it to the vet. I haven't actually caught him spraying but I smelled it after I caught him scratching the wooden fence so I'm suspicious. 

I'll probably schedule more play time anyway, I don't get to spend much time with them and I feel terrible about it and miss them. Thanks (^●ω●^ )ノ