Cat "Mel" is eating very little, showing signs of illness

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be a bit of a long one, so I apologize. I also apologize for having been away from the site so long -things got cray-cray. Years ago, I took in a stray who literally ran into my workplace. He was showing signs of illness and after he stopped eating altogether, I took him to the vet who discovered a MASSIVE tapeworm infestation that literally almost killed him (his heart stopped during treatment and they has to bring him back). 

Since then, I have noticed a steady decline in his eating/drinking habits, as well as in his appearance and behavior. I keep taking him to the vet, and they insist he's fine (no parasites etc). The issue is because of his aggression at the vet they will not examine him without sedation, so they cannot observe the behaviors I report to them AND  they have yet to run more specific blood work(though they have run generalized panels). 

He is now eating less than two tablespoons of food a day as an estimate, and I am not sure how much he drinks. I know he is drinking because his water jug/bowl empties. His appearance is a bit haggard and he has runny eyes. He is also constantly constipated, passing small, hard and dark stools streaked with a clay/yellow color. His only large movement appeared almost black in color. He has also taken to hiding in the hut he once used as a perch to observe his surroundings.

I am at a loss as to what to do, should do, can do. I am taking him to another vet that insisted on examining him again before they order blood work (though he's been a patient or their's and they'll probably sedate him again too.)

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He definitely needs a thorough exam even if it means sedation.  Stool that is almost black or black is a sign of blood.  His symptoms sound like either IBD or chronic constipation, or both the IBD being the cause of the constipation.  He can't continue to eat so little.  Because of the way a cat's liver works eating too little over a period of time can cause a liver condition called Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver.  

When you take him to the new vet insist on a thorough exam.  All the blood work and an x-ray to check for constipation.