cat mating question

skywalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I rescued 3 kittens that were too small to eat. We heard them meowing in an old shed , so we got to them and taught them how to lap milk from a bowl and eventually added kitten cat food to the mix. My boyfriend built a cage and put them in until they could care for themselves. Well, they started climbing out the cage so we let them go and by now they could eat cat food. I am not sure how old they were when we found them and their eyes were open but the other eye was matted closed.We assumed the mother had been killed. They were also very small, but anyway I think they might be a little over one one month old are two months old - not sure but somewhere in between. There is also a tom cat that hangs around and he is probably four years old in people years.My question is he has already begun trying to mate with the female kittens that are maybe not even 2 months old. Is this strange or unusual? I have been trying to find a home for the kittens and I cannot afford to have them neutered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're only 2 months old, no, they aren't old enough to get pregnant (usually 3 1/2 months is the very youngest). But he could hurt them. Have you called around to all the cat rescue places in the area? Most can place kittens fairly easily. Or they may know of a low-cost spay/neuter clinic you could take everyone to (including the tomcat). If you don't get them placed or fixed, in a few months there will be manymany more kitties to care for. . .:(.

How long has it been since you found the kittens?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

skywalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably two months or close to it. The only place in my area is animal pound and I think they will kill them. Yes, I know something has to be done and as for the tom cat, can't catch him and I don't know what is wrong with him and I fear he has already mated the females because we caught him at it twice and chased him but after dark who knows. I am going to call around and see if there is a place that can help me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you found them 2 months ago they're probably around 3 1/2 months old now :(. So it is possible for them to get pregnant. Have you looked on Petfinder for all rescues in your area? Did you look in the phone book? Being pregnant this young could kill them.