Cat Making Strange Purr Noise - What it means?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if cats in heat could be spayed. It would seem to be a useful way of putting a stop to the noise, but would it adversely affect the cat?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a nurse and work in surgery so when I had Abby spayed I knew the importance of certain things pre and post surgery. So I wanted her to have the best care.

- Obviously general anesthesia.

- Complete blood work up pre surgery. This gives a baseline to go by to monitor for complications and for future care.

- I insisted she be given something for pain because having your abdomen cut into and stitched back up is not a very pleasant experience and it's very painful.

- I also had her ear tattooed inside (used instead of a microchip. Lots of places don't have a way to read microchips, and a tattoo is easy to see). I think this was a free service.

As for meowing. I find that each of my cats have had different sounding meows and purrs....a wide range actually. In time you get to "understand" what they want or are trying to tell you.

Also, please don't squirt your baby with water
To get her to not jump on counters, the next time she does it, go and pick her up and say "No!" and put her on the floor. It's like having a perpetual 2 year old in the house. You don't squirt a kid with water to get them to stop doing something. You do and physically remove them, tell them "No!" and redirect them to something else that is appropriate. Animals respond much better to that type of training than to being squirted in the face with water or yelled at.

I hope her spay goes well. You have a beautiful kitty there and she sounds like she's a talker. Don't be afraid to talk back by mimicing her sounds, or just telling her in your language how your day was

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I was wondering if cats in heat could be spayed. It would seem to be a useful way of putting a stop to the noise, but would it adversely affect the cat?
Yes, they can. Most vets recommend against it though because of the extra amount of blood in the area and it does increase the risk for complications. But some vets will do it. I think they do charge a bit extra though because of the increased risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm a nurse and work in surgery so when I had Abby spayed I knew the importance of certain things pre and post surgery. So I wanted her to have the best care.

- Obviously general anesthesia.

- Complete blood work up pre surgery. This gives a baseline to go by to monitor for complications and for future care.

- I insisted she be given something for pain because having your abdomen cut into and stitched back up is not a very pleasant experience and it's very painful.

- I also had her ear tattooed inside (used instead of a microchip. Lots of places don't have a way to read microchips, and a tattoo is easy to see). I think this was a free service.

As for meowing. I find that each of my cats have had different sounding meows and purrs....a wide range actually. In time you get to "understand" what they want or are trying to tell you.

Also, please don't squirt your baby with water
To get her to not jump on counters, the next time she does it, go and pick her up and say "No!" and put her on the floor. It's like having a perpetual 2 year old in the house. You don't squirt a kid with water to get them to stop doing something. You do and physically remove them, tell them "No!" and redirect them to something else that is appropriate. Animals respond much better to that type of training than to being squirted in the face with water or yelled at.

I hope her spay goes well. You have a beautiful kitty there and she sounds like she's a talker. Don't be afraid to talk back by mimicing her sounds, or just telling her in your language how your day was
Thanks for the advice. Everything I had read including multiple cat owners suggested that using the squirt bottle was effective, so that's why I tried it but I'll give it a rest.

As for the meowing, well she is definately in heat from what I saw last night. I just spoke with the vet and they personally do spaying when the cat is in heat, she said that for them dogs are more of a risk. But I couldn't get an appointment any earlier than a week before what I have now on Dec. 13th and we wanted to schedule so she could get her 2nd distemper at the same time. I was told basically to just ride it out, that she'll go through different stages in her heat cycle and some times may not be as bad. For instance this morning, she's still purring but not meowing as much as she did last night, and she's not really raising her butt and presenting. Maybe it's just a night thing for that behavior?

I have ear plugs and used them last night and also shut her out of our room, that worked great. I couldn't hear her at all if she did make a noise. I was more concerned about Spraying but I was told that because she's only a year, she probably won't, that it's more common in older cats who keep going in and out of heat.

Oh and the last thing I was told is that lets say I could have her spayed tomorrow, it probably wouldn't stop the behavior right away because it's hormonal.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marishka was making that exact sound about two weeks before she went into heat (which was about two weeks after I got her). And then all of a sudden, I had a cat in heat (and I've never had a cat before) so getting used to that is a...challenge to say the least. She's never tried to get outside since, but for about a week straight she would try to dart outside every single chance she could. I called the vet, and we scheduled the spay for a week later (soonest chance we had!)

My vet also talked about the option of the pre-anesthesia workup/test/whatever, and I opted for it, it cost me like, $40 extra, but was peace of mind, at the very least.

But man, good luck with a cat in heat. I don't miss it

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When my Ginger wants to play with the laser pointer, she makes this very specific sound: "Brrrrrrrrrrrr-meOW?"
I LOVE THIS!!! Both of my cats brrrr meow ALL THE TIME

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
btw I would spend the extra $30 or whatever it is to put a chip in her. If for any reason she gets outside and gets lost, at least you have some kind of hope that you will be reuinited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I originally had a date of Dec. 14th to get her spayed (we'd drop her off on the 13th), but I changed it to Nov. 30th which is the earliest they had. Thankfully it's only 2 weeks from now

I probably will do the anesthesia profile, not quite sure about the catheter yet. I probably won't do the chip although I may get a collar (if only for a fashion statement on her part)
I honestly can never see her getting out. There's only one door we use and she's afraid of it. Plus she's never been outside so I'm sure she's not too eager.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

She's a pretty baby.
I agree with GingersMom she's probably just a talker.
My Gracie talks all the time and she doesn't actually meow, she sort of chirps like a bird!
Java almost never makes a sound. when she does, it's a baby mew, like a kitten. Cable sort of squeaks at me most of the time. Pixel does a 'murrow' type noise, half meow/half purr. Chip is the most 'normal' one - just purrs & meows for him!
check out the collars at Ragtime Collars. there's loads of fabric choices & they're all breakaway collars. Java's is a beautiful paisley.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From everything I know - and have now experienced - many torties and calicos are big time talkers. Mine is no exception. In fact, she is the loudest, most talkative cat I know. She squeaks. She meows. She makes every other cat noise. She yells. She announces her arrival in a room, on the bed, or when she jumps on anything else. She has conversations with everyone, and no one.

99.9% of the time it's absolutely wonderful. The exception is 6:30 on a Sunday morning... naturally.