cat making everything stink

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet visit is the best.

One of my cat has IBS (she had soft stools and was gassy) so the vet gave her Hill's prescription diet I/D then I slowly switched her to California Natural chicken an brown rice and she has been doing well since. I didn't like the Hill's PD because of the ingredients (corn and by-products). She also has problem expressing her anal glands which I had no idea but all I know her butt always smells and looks "raw". The vet taught me how to express her glands and she got an antibiotic shot. This was about 2 months ago and she hasn't stink since. My vet recommended me to express my cats every 2-3 months and it will stink like skunks so wipe with some baby wipes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmlong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well we took otis to the vet finally. he does NOT have worms and everything is normal with him. the vet expressed his anal gland and the stink has not been present since. i'm sure after some time has gone by he will need to have it done again, maybe not, vet didn't really say much. we're probly going to find another vet after this being our first visit. he seemed really ignorant and none caring. Otis actually seems happier since having his anal gland espressed. Not sure if this has any impact on the cat himself as far as well being.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
change his food, my cat did the same thing, only 6 months old
it was bad,, and all it was, the food, took me 3 different kinds
now he has been fine good luck

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kmlong, I am glad Otis is doing better! Yay!

Originally Posted by catsareok

change his food, my cat did the same thing, only 6 months old
it was bad,, and all it was, the food, took me 3 different kinds
now he has been fine good luck
Catsareok, What food did you finally settle on? Thanks!

Also, since this is the topic, how do I know if my cat needs her anal glad expressed? Is this something a vet has to diagnose? I think my kittens are reacting badly to their food...
Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LondonKat

kmlong, I am glad Otis is doing better! Yay!

Catsareok, What food did you finally settle on? Thanks!

Also, since this is the topic, how do I know if my cat needs her anal glad expressed? Is this something a vet has to diagnose? I think my kittens are reacting badly to their food...
Thanks.
Anal glands are something a vet or groomer can diagnois ... Once taught you and I can often figure it out... I know how but REFUSE to express anal glands

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
londonkat

I would change there food, just because a kitty's farts stink, eveyone goes overboard. try a different food first, I did it and my kitty is fine
no problems and he stunk bad it was killin me....

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
londonkat
Purina One for Kittens, this made him smell bad, out the rear end I am now using the
Iam's Kitten Formula, has bad breath,
but no more gas good luck
meow!!!!!!!
he is around 8 months old

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Juniper farted a lot when we first got him. After he turned 4 months, he started to fart less and less and now he basically doesn't fart. I figure it's an age thing since we've had Bixby a week and he's farty. Only Juniper was sneaky about it -- suddenly something would smell. Bixby only does it when you pick him up or he gets squeezed somehow