Cat LOVES leather couch

theosmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat Theo LOVES my brand new leather couch!!
 I went i got the soft claws put on him at PetSmart... But he is so darn smart... he chewed most of them
 . So i was searching online for other ways to deter my cat from scratching the couch. I saw that citrus oil may deter them. Has anyone tried it? How have you done it?

Its a catch 22 for me and Theo because he LOVES being around me.... ALWAYS. so if im on the couch hes at the most 3' away... and i really love it.. .BUT I HATE THE DAMAGE ON THE COUCH!!!

So i really would like some feedback. Im getting the lemon oil from amazon this weekend.

Thanks,

Theo's Mamma.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are especially deterred by orange.  Lemon isn't as effective for mine; but grapefruit is good too.  

Do you have a cat tree or something else for him to scratch on?  I know some cats prefer vertical surfaces to scratch and some prefer horizontal.  There is also a product called Ssscat (something to that effect) that senses when they are near and gives off a hiss of air; similar to the canned air for cleaning computer keyboards.  I use one of those cans of air to deter my cats from chewing the Christmas tree.  But I'm home all day so I can get away with doing that myself. 

This link might have some useful information for you too: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it

Good luck!