Cat lovers - is the trait dying out?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats. So much so, one kitty we had was born before I was and passed away my senior year of high school My parents also had a siamese when I was born, but he died in our home when I was 6. We've always had at least 2 cats in the house and usually around a dozen ferals that we TNR (my brother and I LOVED playing with the outside kitties). My older sister has a cat too.....must be our upbringing
We also grew up with dogs, but only had 1 or 2 at most.

My boyfriend didn't grow up with any pets, but 2 of his aunts had one cat each and he enjoyed the kitty's company when he was over there. His first cousin is the only one with dogs (they raise dalmations). Both my boyfriend and his brother LOVE cats but think dogs are loud....go figure! Oh well....he told me I can get as many kitties as I want to in the future (that is when we get a bigger place).

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always had dogs growing up. My mom prefered dogs, she really didn't like cats, never had them either growing up. Then my dad brought home a cat when I was 18, after our dog Charm passed away. My mom and dad now are on there 4th cat. I would love to see my boyfriend's mom adopt a cat, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
I don't think she's an animal person. My boyfriend never grew up with pets, now he just loves Sash and all cats.

Lisa & Sash

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My option isn't up there.......I was raised that cats were just nasty creatures! that Dogs were the best animals to own. It wasn't until almost 3 years ago when I was introduced to the joy of owning a cat.........I had other family members who owned cats but they were frowned upon for doing so. Now that I own 2 WONDERFUL kitties I know just what I missed out on growing up.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WillowsMom

My option isn't up there.......I was raised that cats were just nasty creatures! that Dogs were the best animals to own. It wasn't until almost 3 years ago when I was introduced to the joy of owning a cat.........I had other family members who owned cats but they were frowned upon for doing so. Now that I own 2 WONDERFUL kitties I know just what I missed out on growing up.
Aha! Another convert! IMO, why not enjoy both species?

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't respond to the poll because there wasn't a selection that fit me. I am the child of parents who both HAD cats in their childhood homes. My dad was always a dog man. My mother liked her cats but grew more and more distant from loving them as her allergies to animals increased and several of her dogs/cats got run over, shot by neighbors, etc.

So, after my parents got married, they went the dog route until I was about 8 years-old. My neighbor had a friendly cat and so I begged and begged till my parents caved. I got my first cat at 8 and have owned them ever since. My father is now a total cat convert. He likes them much better than dogs. He completely babies two of my three cats. My mother also likes cats but (partly due to her allergies) doesn't care one way or another if they were a part of her life. She also can't stand litterboxes in HER spaces and cat hair all over! Too bad they had me as their child.