cat lovers help

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buckwheat is shy, lonely, and hides. The prev owner doesn't take my calls, and I have no idea what to do. I've had him 4mos and haven't seen him much runs and hides all day long, comes out at nite. When I got him he was in a crate. Call vet and he said have have him fixed with shots will 170$ wow. What should I do........poor Buckwheat, he's not happy at all. I got him 2scraching post over 100$, and many many toys catnip, and everything I don't think that's not more I could do...is it?????????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...cont. to get him to the vet I'm going to have to trap him with a "trap from vet. Wow I had no idea is was like this???plz I any ideas folks......?

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Buckwheat now for4-5mos. He is very shy, he runs and hides, and acts very feral. I have been able to touch him or even get close to him. When I picked up Buckwheat he was 8mos old, and 1year. He was crated and already to go to my home. I never seen him until I got home he stay in crate for several hours, very quite. I called vet because I wanted him fixed and up to date on his shots, if anything. The vet said it would be 170$ for vet services. What should I do. I feed, and house a cat that I don't even get to see, and to get him to the the vet I have to borrow a trap, and try to trap him. I had no idea it would be like this. I wanted him I think more than he wants me. I went out and got him 2climbing post over 100$ a piece, and many toys, now he plays with his toys if I put catnip on them, but only at nite when I'm sleep. I can he hear him playing. What should I do vet say he thinks he should be outside.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buckwheat is shy, lonely, and hides. The prev owner doesn't take my calls, and I have no idea what to do. I've had him 4mos and haven't seen him much runs and hides all day long, comes out at nite. When I got him he was in a crate. Call vet and he said have have him fixed with shots will 170$ wow. What should I do........poor Buckwheat, he's not happy at all. I got him 2scraching post over 100$, and many many toys catnip, and everything I don't think that's not more I could do...is it?????????
Your previous post regarding Buckwheat was replied to. Have you been able to do any of the things suggested? Is this a separate issue on how to get him to the vet? You need to work on gaining his trust using the suggestions already given. You should then have no trouble getting him into his crate to go to the vet. You could also put his food in the crate to get him into it.  You'll get more suggestions by starting your own thread.

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typo...I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH HIM

kittybelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
firstly youre doing the best you can.be proud of yourself.this cat is obviously a bit traumatised.is their any one food he loves most.could you use it as a treat something to bond over. e.g calling him out of hiding saying come here pet heres your favourite food.you know what i mean. what about feliway that plug in device that mimics cats pheromones.it might help.give it a go before you trap him.i know its hard work and frustrating.the wee guys finding it hard to trust.hope other more knowledgable people can advise you furthur. good luck xo

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's unclear to me how you got Buckwheat. You said you picked him up but you did not see him until you got home after someone else put him in a box and delivered him. Is it possible that during this exchange Buckwheat had some kind of trauma?  

Cats that have not been socialized take more time to adapt to people. If Buckwheat is in his own "room", you need to first make him get used to your presence. Just stay with him, do not attempt to touch or pet him, talk to him in a gentle tone, let him know you are not a threat. Wait until he goes to you. You need to be patient. 

Last edited:

michellemurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was buckwheat a feral cat? Not all cats are going to want to held and cuddled. Being unable to touch him at all sounds like he must be either extremely anxious or perhaps he suffered something traumatizing before you knew him. I would bring him to the vet and have him fixed and get the vaccines. Just for his general health. If he was a feral cat then my understanding is that it will take lots of time( more then 2 months) for him to get used to his new life.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had Buckwheat now for4-5mos. He is very shy, he runs and hides, and acts very feral. I have been able to touch him or even get close to him. When I picked up Buckwheat he was 8mos old, and 1year. He was crated and already to go to my home. I never seen him until I got home he stay in crate for several hours, very quite. I called vet because I wanted him fixed and up to date on his shots, if anything. The vet said it would be 170$ for vet services. What should I do. I feed, and house a cat that I don't even get to see, and to get him to the the vet I have to borrow a trap, and try to trap him. I had no idea it would be like this. I wanted him I think more than he wants me. I went out and got him 2climbing post over 100$ a piece, and many toys, now he plays with his toys if I put catnip on them, but only at nite when I'm sleep. I can he hear him playing. What should I do vet say he thinks he should be outside.
I'm sorry you seem to be still having problems socializing this cat. Did you follow any of the steps previously recommended to you in your thread http://www.thecatsite.com/t/265379/feral-or-shy?

You need to do some work if you want this kitty to start to trust you. Can you tell me what you have tried so far?

You said you brought him home in a crate. Is that like a carrier? Do you still have it? You could put his food into it and wait for him to go for it, then close it up and take him to the vet.