Cat lover who wants a cat

ilyas1503

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All my life I have loved cats and always wanted one :D I am nearly at an age where I can get my own place hopefully and get a cat but I just cannot make a decision on what breed to get... I completely get that owning a cat is no easy job but I'm sure I'll be up to the task... ;) I have friends with a few cats and spending time around them has given me an idea of what I would like my cat to be like... I want a playful cat who I can give a lot of attention to.. I may also look into getting a pair of kittens to keep each other company... I like a cat who does not mind being petted and is comfortable around humans and enjoys the attention I would also like for it to have a nice pattern and colour but of course this is not essential... Thanks alot for the help

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the websites of local rescue shelters. They typically have profiles of adoptable kitties with pictures, biographies, and details about their personality including how well they get along with other kitties and if they have any siblings or friends in the rescue that they'd be good to adopt with.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi 

I don't think you need to get a pure bred cat. Just go down to your local shelter, tell them you are looking for a pair of friendly kitties and then take your pick from what they have, There are hundreds of lovable cats and kittens waiting in shelters for someone like you. You'll be giving them the chance of a good life if you take them, much better than being left in a shelter or put to sleep, which is unfortunately what happens to a lot of unwanted cats.

I think getting two cats is a great idea, they can keep each other company when you go out. I have lots of cats and they are all one big happy family.

Keep us posted. I'd love to see pictures of your new cats when you get them.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are some links that will help in your decisioning!

Cat personalities, and how to choose one from a shelter: http://www.wayofcats.com/mission/find-your-cat-match

A few 'cat selector' quizzes plus how to choose a breeder - just scroll down til you hit the correct headings (eg: 'Best cat for me'): http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/resource-list.html

And remember, if you do go for a specific breed, wisely choose your breeder, or go to the rescue organisation for that breed (yes, breeds have their own rescue organisations who work together across the world!), and you will be able to save one who needs a new home.  Also, if you are new to being a cat parent, there is also wisdom in taking an adult cat - they'll train you! And then your couple of kittens...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilyas1503

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks alot :) Vet helpful and yes it is sad to see many cats being put down as a result of not being looked after :p I will keep you posted :D

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not that I am trying to say they are the only place to go but I personally had the best luck at the local Humane Society.  There are a lot of shelters here but the Humane Society sees that the cats are microchipped, spayed or neutered, and current on all the tests and shots.  Some of the others do not make sure of those things and it is added expense when sometimes it is not something that is convenient.  I just got a cat from the Humane Society here and he had been fostered instead of being in a kennel.  He is the sweetest cat and well worth the extra time it took to find him.

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my life I have loved cats and always wanted one
I am nearly at an age where I can get my own place hopefully and get a cat but I just cannot make a decision on what breed to get... I completely get that owning a cat is no easy job but I'm sure I'll be up to the task...
I have friends with a few cats and spending time around them has given me an idea of what I would like my cat to be like... I want a playful cat who I can give a lot of attention to.. I may also look into getting a pair of kittens to keep each other company... I like a cat who does not mind being petted and is comfortable around humans and enjoys the attention I would also like for it to have a nice pattern and colour but of course this is not essential... Thanks alot for the help
Hello!  Oh, please adopt a shelter kitty!  They are wonderful and in so much need of love and affection.  So often they are overlooked in favor of purebreds.  Don't pass up the opportunity to adopt the love of a lifetime from a local shelter.  Most shelters now make a dedicated effort to ensure their cats are well socialized and comfortable with people.  But you know what?  Sometimes getting the "shy one" pays off in ways you can never imagine!  Please consider it!  And bless you for wanting to add a bundle of furry love to your life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilyas1503

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello!  Oh, please adopt a shelter kitty!  They are wonderful and in so much need of love and affection.  So often they are overlooked in favor of purebreds.  Don't pass up the opportunity to adopt the love of a lifetime from a local shelter.  Most shelters now make a dedicated effort to ensure their cats are well socialized and comfortable with people.  But you know what?  Sometimes getting the "shy one" pays off in ways you can never imagine!  Please consider it!  And bless you for wanting to add a bundle of furry love to your life!
I will most certainly be doing so :D Have never thought of not going to a shelter to get a new cat/kitten!!!! :) :) :)

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are so right and if the truth be known if I had to do it over, I would not have gotten just one but two.  They do so much better having a playmate and companion of their own kind.  I had no choice when I got the first boy as he was all there was there but I should have gotten another one then instead of waiting almost 2 years.  They get along famously and both seem happier because I have the other one there.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you walked into our shelter while I was there, I guarantee I could point you to what you want. We normally have 20-40 cats and kittens at a variety of ages, colors, and temperaments.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my life I have loved cats and always wanted one :D I am nearly at an age where I can get my own place hopefully and get a cat but I just cannot make a decision on what breed to get... I completely get that owning a cat is no easy job but I'm sure I'll be up to the task... ;) I have friends with a few cats and spending time around them has given me an idea of what I would like my cat to be like... I want a playful cat who I can give a lot of attention to.. I may also look into getting a pair of kittens to keep each other company... I like a cat who does not mind being petted and is comfortable around humans and enjoys the attention I would also like for it to have a nice pattern and colour but of course this is not essential... Thanks alot for the help
I have been through this as I was allowed to get a cat only after I moved out... I really think you should search for YOUR cat, not a breed. Look at photos, go to shelters, you'll know when you find the one.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck!  I am happy for you and even more happy for the possibility that some really needy kitty is going to connect with you.   The kitty I adopted eight weeks ago came from a place called "death row for cats."    She was sickly and all black which is not a popular choice as no one wants a black cat.  With a little work and lots and lots of love she is blossoming into the most beautiful little girl and her name is Princess.    Again, good luck and you won't be sorry!! 

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great and I am so happy for you and your future kitty.  You will make a great parent and I am sure that like so many of us, you will know when you see the one you really want.

And whatever, congratulations on the new little Princess in your life.  I have noted that black cats do have a hard time finding forever homes and I congratulate you for being so welcoming.  The best of luck to you and your new little girl.