Cat Lost Best Friend, New Kitten In Home

Atell152

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! We have an orange tabby that does better with a friend. Adopted him from the shelter, and his best pal from the same shelter a week later. We have had them one year. This past week his friend (and my soul mate kitty) passed away unexpectedly. Both are (and were) 3 years old. We adopted a 6 month old kitten for a new friend for him a couple days later. He seems to have accepted him. They sleep together, he grooms the kitten. However, he has begun to meow a lot, and when the kitten plays he will sit and meow at him. Sometimes it is cute trills and sometimes it sounds bitchy. Should we be concerned?
20181005_172236.jpg
20181005_172236.jpg
20181005_211559.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm so so sorry that has happened to you and your furbuddy!!
RIP sweetheart you didn't have a lot of time but you gave, and got, a LOT of love
:rbheart:

Looking to the now and future, those photos you posted indicate that your new baby and your older baby are in marvelous shape regarding acceptance. Good for you!!

However, it's entirely possible that your three year old is missing the other kitty.
Can you play more with your three y-o when this happens, and also try some music, low volume classical harp music is known to help relax cats.

Try a licki mat - there's something about licking that can help a cat to feel better,
The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

and also you could try some chamomile tea - from the little bags only (not loose leaf), up to 3 tablespoons a couple times a day, and also a cuppa for you as well :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Atell152

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is some hissing and swatting that goes on, mostly when new baby tries to get resident cats tail. Sometimes when he sits and meows at him it sounds one step from fighting...the first couple days he did hold him down with a paw and get over top of him, mouth on back of kittens neck. But I rush in and they're just sitting there....resident cat just sounds like that. I'm terrified of leaving them alone. I know it was very soon but we are already attached to new kitten and he is helping us heal.