Cat losing weight over the last year

Peteythefurrycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I am in a similar situation with my cat Petey. He has lost a lot of weight over the past year, from about 10lbs now down to 7.5. His blood work came back mostly okay, with one liver enzyme coming back high. The rest was normal according to vet.
He has been vomiting a couple times a week. No diarrhea. We have switched his diet around a few times from dry food to wet food and back to dry, just giving him whatever he would eat. Now he is only nibbling on food, and he is so skinny :( the vet is calling us back tomorrow to schedule an ultrasound. Does anyone have any food suggestions to get weight back on him? A few months ago we switched to wet food, he would only eat fancy feast, but he was scarfing it down!! 3-4 cans a day. But he stopped eating that so we switched to FF kibble, and he was chowing on that for a while too, but now is pretty disinterested in both.
He is on cerenia for the vomiting right now. He hasn't vomited in about a week. I just want to make sure we are doing all we can :(View attachment 374538
AC2CBF8E-980F-422D-BBBC-67133A474980.jpeg

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I am in a similar situation with my cat Petey. He has lost a lot of weight over the past year, from about 10lbs now down to 7.5. His blood work came back mostly okay, with one liver enzyme coming back high. The rest was normal according to vet.
He has been vomiting a couple times a week. No diarrhea. We have switched his diet around a few times from dry food to wet food and back to dry, just giving him whatever he would eat. Now he is only nibbling on food, and he is so skinny :( the vet is calling us back tomorrow to schedule an ultrasound. Does anyone have any food suggestions to get weight back on him? A few months ago we switched to wet food, he would only eat fancy feast, but he was scarfing it down!! 3-4 cans a day. But he stopped eating that so we switched to FF kibble, and he was chowing on that for a while too, but now is pretty disinterested in both.
He is on cerenia for the vomiting right now. He hasn't vomited in about a week. I just want to make sure we are doing all we can :(View attachment 374538View attachment 374539
I do see a high PSL value on the last page. The vomiting, the lack of interest in food, the weight loss, and the possible squint of pain in the second picture would also suggest a diagnosis of pancreatitis. Please ask your vet about this if she/he didn't discuss it with you. The ultrasound is still a good idea as pancreatitis rarely happens by itself. But pancreatitis is a serious condition and should be addressed aggressively. In addition to Cerenia, you may need an appetite stimulant too. Depending on what the ultrasound reveals, he may even need a course of steroids to get the inflammation under control. You'll want to switch him back to wet food because it is much easier to digest and thus easier on the pancreas.

Rawz is the gold standard for IBD kitties because their single protein foods are only that protein (no hidden chicken or fish ingredients) and they use fenugreek seeds in place of irritating gums and binders. A lot of foods wear the "Limited Ingredient Diet" label that really aren't. Rawz walks the walk. It is expensive and hard to find, though. However, they will send you samples if you write them to spare you from buying whole cases of food before Petey has had a chance to taste it. Whatever proteins of the FF he's been eating on the regular, you should avoid those now. Chicken and fish are the most common IBD triggers because those are what most cats eat. If he wasn't eating the turkey FF on the regular, then I would start with the turkey Rawz. Otherwise, you may try beef, duck, or rabbit. Novel proteins only have to be novel to your cat, not to all cats.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

Last edited by a moderator: