Cat looks thin from above...

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I recently found a stray cat driving home from work the other day and she reminded me much like my old cat who sadly passed. After nearly three days, I had finally lured her in and drove her right to the vet. The vet thinks that she is about three years old and life has not been good to this poor kitty. She said that she may have had several litters and that it didn't go very well for her. When I heard this, I thought I must keep her because her experience may have been much like my old cats. She is starting to warm up to me now and because I can get a better look at her she looks extremely thin from above when I look down on her, but when she bends over to clean herself or rolls over she looks fine and walking around her belly even sags. I know that she is not pregnant the vet ruled that out and she shows no signs of worms. I worry about her though because I am able to clearly see her hip bones. I am thinking that maybe it is from the kittens that she had but I am not sure. She will eat only dry food, I don't really know why but I have offered her like 20 cans of wet food but I just end up throwing them away. She is still very skittish so I can't get a picture of her where you can see what I am talking about but the vet just told me to keep an eye on her. Can anyone possibly help me figure this out?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you have taken her in.  She probably is just thin from the hard life she has had and it will take time.  Some kitties are real kibble addicts.  For now I would just give her what she will eat.  After she has gained some weight and settled in then you can work on getting her to eat canned food, it can be a long process.  Here is an article on transitioning her http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you don't think that the sagging belly could mean anything? Is it possible she has worms from the streets and she just isn't showing any signs?