Cat "living in the wild" in a very cold climate

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sent an update email to one of my cat's former family.  In reply, his former caretaker informed me that his brother was "still living out in the wild."  He was thrown out after he urinated inappropriately.  I'm pretty certain he isn't neutered as she suggested his brother(our cat) was neutered after he was gone.

I'm wanting to rush over(a few hours away) and save this cat(and prevent others from being impregnated by him).  Of course, there are plenty of cats who need to be rescued out there and this isn't exactly a great time in our life to do so.  I imagine he's been seeking shelter with their former neighbors.  I know cats are resilient creatures capable of adapting to harsh environments but it's VERY cold here so.. if he's alive.. I can't imagine he's completely on his own.  He's been out there for a couple of years by my estimation.  Is it likely he could adapt to being an indoor-only cat?  His brother had a tough time(and we still struggle with it) adjusting but he's doing considerably better now.  I would also worry about the marking.  We would have him neutered but I know spraying can be a tough habit for cats to break.  I'm also concerned about infectious diseases, beyond those we can test for like FIV and FeLV.  And who knows how we'd find him.  

This will be a very tough sell for my SO, especially considering our current life circumstances, but I thought I'd get some other opinions..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for this cat and wanting to the best for him.  If you are able to trap him and get him to the vet as soon as possible for neutering, health check, vaccines, etc... that would be incredible.  Adjusting to indoor life takes time but certainly can be done.  I brought a stray turned feral into my home last year.  He had been living outside on his own for over 2 years.  I was finally able to catch him and bring him inside.  I cleared out a spare room just for him.  I kept him completely separate from my dog and indoor only cat.  The new arrival (Marvin) stayed in this room for just over 2 months before introductions began.  I wanted him fully adjusted to inside life before beginning another task.  I made sure the room was free from dangerous hiding places ( under beds, under/behind book cases, etc..) and made the room cozy for him.  I added a small cat tree beside a window, some toys, beds,and of course litter box and food.  It was a slow process.  I would visit 4-6x each day and talk quietly to him.  I used feliway plug ins, composure feline treats and left soft music on when I was gone.  He has now been in the house for 10 months.  He loves the dog, but not the other male cat (both are neutered).  Marvin still has his own room which he stays in when no one is home and at night. He loves his room.  It works, but it not my ideal. 

Good luck on your endeavor.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our (former) neighbors adopted kittens, then grew bored and let them out to fend for themselves.  We have two of her former kittens.  I had not known about the third as he fled to the woods and lived on his own for 18 months.  He got into a fight with another neighbor's cat and ended up in a box in my backyard.  By the time I found him and got him to the vet, it was too late and I had to have him euthanized.

I cried over that poor cat's suffering for days.  If only, if only...

You have the opportunity to help this cat, so I say "go for it!"  Even though having him will present challenges, you will regret not trying...

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi OceanBreathes

I can give some response to this having been in a similar situation with a neighbor's cat left out in terribly cold conditions with no proper shelter and only little (frozen) kibble to eat.

I rescued her, and was supported by my vet who said he would attest for me if anything bad followed from the neighbors (it didn't, see "Little Ginger" threat) and one thing my vet said was that no one "owns" a stray or feral cat.  My wish with Little Ginger (now our cat "Ellie") is that I had intervened sooner and not been scared by possible prosecution for trespassing; had I done so she might have been spared a terrible URI and other problems and suffering that I am still treating (big vet bills!). 

As to the infectious diseases, I kept Ellie isolated until I was able to get her to the vet to be tested, which is the best route.  It's taking her a long time to get socialized as we have 4 other (indoor-outdoor) rescue cats and she is scared of them, but we are making slow progress.  You don't mention your other cats, or did I miss that?  If they are rehabbed ferals like mine and have had their shots, the risk of contracting anything is likely small at worst, but do try to get him to a vet if you can.  And, the "inappropriate urination" will likely stop once he is neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm waiting to hear back from the former caretaker(I need the location/etc).  I think I've been dismissed as a crazy cat girl as they obviously have different "cat values" than we do but.. hopefully she'll respond.  My SO is thankfully open to the idea and no, I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try.