cat litter

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I really do not want the kitty to miss using his litter box and I'm wondering what is the safest and best kitty litter? any suggestions or names to stay away from????

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your cat avoiding his litter box? I use the Arm and Hammer Ultra Last litter box brand, it seems to work for Miki. Clumping litter is normally the best choice- most cat litter brands make clumping litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx again,
...... my both dogs use wee wee pads [their only 6lbs] I sure wouldn't want him to join the dogs.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend two boxes as some kitties don't like to poop and pee in the same box.  We have been using World's Best litter for many years and love it, as do the kitties.  However, the best litter to use is one your cat will use.  Don't change litters quickly as that irritates some cats and causes them to stop using the box.  Also, a clumping litter with little scent should do the trick.  Be sure to scoop the box twice daily to keep kitty using the box.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Multi Cat.  I agree with having an extra box.  I have 6 boxes in my house with 5 kitties.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the Breeze litter system !  I have about 5 -6 around the house for my 6 kitties. As 5are male cats, it cuts the urine odor real well, as the urine sinks to the pee pad liner underneath the litter pellets, which is contained in a pullout tray. Some think it costs a lot to maintain, but actually I think I save because the pellets last a long time - like a month or more (I even washed a batch one time)  Only draw back is to remember to change the pee pad, or at least check on it when you scoop- it can only absorb so much, and then you will have a pool of urine! I usually will smell by the time it is getting too full! Otherwise I think it pretty good at keeping the urine odor under control, which I think smells worse than the pooh !

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good to try to use something at first that is similar to what your kitty is already used to. When we brought our kitten home, she didn't go for a day. I could tell she was looking at the litter box and it just didn't seem right.  We had a large one with World's Best Litter.  We bought a little one and put some old Arm & Hammer in it (different texture) and she used it.  It took her quite awhile to adapt to the World's Best Litter.  We can't lift the box of Arm & Hammer... I used Tidy Cats for years too.

I used to use the Breeze system along with another box.  My cat would not poop in the Breeze at all, which is how I ended up with 2 boxes.  The Breeze was expensive and I'm glad I don't need it now although I miss my kitty.  She urinated a lot which is why I tried it.

Last edited: