Cat Litter problem/question

sharonazar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am caring for a neighbors cats and they use Clump and Seal by Arm & Hammer...The odor of the litter is so laden with perfume that I prefer the odor of cat poop!!! (I have to use a gas mask when I clean the litter which is twice a day!) What is in this product that gives it such a strong chemical odor?? For my own cats I use World's Best..no odor at all...
..thank you for any light...

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, there are cat litters that have an odor added to it like lavender or babypowder etc. What gives it the smell I don't know, but if it's a "supposedly" nice smell, I wouldn't worry about it. I personally have one with a "fresh" smell. I prefer without, but this is seriously the only litter I am happy with when it comes to size, clumping quality and how much they walk into my room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonazar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you...since these are not my cats and the owner is a vet, I have to approach her with scientific information as to why perfumed litter is bad for the respiratory system of the caregiver...But no one seems to be able to tell me the ingredients of this perfume...so I will have to ask her to get a perfume-free litter or I cannot care for her cats...Sad, because I like her and her family and her cats are so sweet....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonazar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do not litter with perfume, no matter how cheap it is. It has a lot of chemicals added to it. The vet said my cat had some signs problems on his lungs related to irritations in the radiographs they took. It was only two weeks on the "arm and hammer double duty" and the coughing started right after. so now I feel pretty sure it's the new litter since other people and cats got lung problems with the litters chemicals. My cat was maybe using it two weeks. But it did it's damage. 
The vet said cats with diabetic conditions can't easily be treated for asthma with the steriods because it makes the diabetic condition worse. Just don't use any litter with scents or much dust in the event your cat might get asthma. I am now using paper litter and it's totally dust free and Smokey is fine with it.

the above comes from this fantastic site:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...uble-duty-cat-litter-danger-potential.110876/