Cat litter blues

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been using Special Kitty Scoop (Wal-mart) brand and Tidy Cats scoop. I scoop 2-3 times a day.

Since going back to 3 cats, one being a kitten, I am back to changing 1 or 2 of the boxes every 3 weeks or so. There's always 1 box they don't use as much so I don't fully change and scrub that box until it's been 4-5 weeks.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Booda Domes are neat-looking and nice for people who need a covered box. We had the regular one for a while but thought about getting that one because of the cool little stairway that would wipe litter off of their paws.

My 2 cats share 1 box and I have to completely change the litter every 2 weeks. There's no way I could make it a month. They have the big Cat's Rule litter box and I try to keep the litter as deep as possible because that does really help with clumping. I scoop 1-2 times a day. I know I should have more boxes but they do fine sharing the 1 and when I add more, they still just use the same one.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3124123

As far as litter goes....here are my hits and misses:

Crystal Litters:
- Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Long Haired Cat Litter (this is the best crystal litter I've tried. It's super expensive. You have to be really good about stirring the crystals otherwise the urine smell is noticeable. Absolutely no tracking.)
- Tidy Cats Crystal Litter (this is a large chunky crystal litter and I wasn't really a fan. Not as good scent control as the Dr. Elsey stuff).

Natural Litters
- World's Best Cat Litter (this one is my favorite but I don't buy it because it's too expensive for cat litter).
- Nature's Miracle (I liked this except for the awful tracking, I wouldn't re-purchase).
- Feline Pine Clumping (awful!!)
- Feline Pine (good, except that my cats don't cover their poop with this and so the scent control for that is lacking).

Clumping Clay Litter
- Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Unscented (my favorite clumping clay litter so far and what I prefer to buy now)
- Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Fresh Scent (I can't stand the way this smells, when the box is clean and not clean. Scented litters are not a good idea for covered boxes).
- PetCo Store Brand (I like this because you can re-use the plastic jug. It's a good litter but there are cheaper ones. Very dusty).

I'd like to give Fresh Step and Tidy Cats a try because those seem to be popular.

I have the Litter Locker but the refills are too expensive for us at the moment.