Cat Likes Going Under Roommate's Dusty Bed

barb1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My seven month old cat has gotten pretty comfortable and confident around the house since I adopted her. I cleaned out the area under my bed to make sure she has a nice area to retreat or get some privacy (there are still some storage containers and boxes that I take out and dust once a month). I let her roam around the house now rather than keeping her in my bedroom while I'm at work but there's one spot that she goes that kind of gives me the creeps. Under my roommate's bed (she likes to keep her door open when she's not home) is extremely dusty, like huge swaths of dust bunnies and junk and my cat likes to chill under there because it's secluded & she won't be interrupted by noise or anything.

Lately she's been sneezing from time to time and twice I heard her have a couple of coughing episodes that really freaked me out. Could it be from the dust? Because she eats, drinks, plays, uses the litterbox perfectly normally. I'll be taking her to the vet in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how to address this, with my roommate or as a possible cat health issue --maybe someone here has advice or has had a similar experience?

Note: Pretty sure she likes my roommate! She's a social cat, for the most part. And I definitely don't want their relationship to be bad since we all live together.

Last edited:

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in an old apartment that gets really dusty. My cats used to sneeze a lot, especially in one paticular corner of my bedroom- i have no idea why cause that area is really clean.

They sneeze a lot less after i got an air purifier and a cleaning robot. The cleaning robot works great for under the bed.

They also sneeze sometimes when i print a lot of stuff. I have a lazer printer. So i moved the printer into the living room and i keep the cats out when im printing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barb1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an old apartment that gets really dusty. My cats used to sneeze a lot, especially in one paticular corner of my bedroom- i have no idea why cause that area is really clean.

They sneeze a lot less after i got an air purifier and a cleaning robot. The cleaning robot works great for under the bed.

They also sneeze sometimes when i print a lot of stuff. I have a lazer printer. So i moved the printer into the living room and i keep the cats out when im printing.
oh an air purifier! been looking for a good one. I can get under my bed with a swiffer broom and it gets very clean but I don't think it's in my interest to get into my roommate's stuff.

I guess maybe she'll grow out of that nap spot soon! I've resigned myself to it, since there's nothing I can do but keep my space/shared spaces clean ! Hope the little bean doesn't have a dust allergy or anything. Looks perfectly healthy otherwise :)

Attachments