Cat licking his foot bare

nerosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lately my kitty has been licking one of his back feet more than usual and he also really bites at his toenails more then usual. He has licked almost all of the fur off on the tops of his toes on the one foot,the other foot doesnt seem to be bothering him at all. What could be causing this? Stress? Allergy to to a food?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, either stress or allergies to a food could be causing this. The feet are a convenient place to chew when either of these conditions occur.

I've also seen cats do this if they are allergic to something they walk on in their environment. A had a dog start this after I bought a new wool rug. I've had others do this when I've done nothing more than change laundry detergents.

To get to the bottom of this, look around your environment to see what has change of late. Stress can be triggered by so many things - anything from a new cat that hangs around outside, to you moving around furniture, to a change in your habits, to a physical illness that your cat may be hiding from you. Contact allergies are triggered by new things in your home.

Cats don't change their behavior for no reason. Something has changed in your kitties life.

Last edited:

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't much of any answer, but both of those are possibilities.  Have there been any changes recently that might cause him to be stressed?   With a cat, it can be the littlest thing, like re-arranging a few pieces of furniture, or seeing a new, unfamiliar cat outside his favorite window.  

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, either stress or allergies to a food could be causing this. The feet are a convenient place to chew when either of these conditions occur.

I've also seen cats do this if they are allergic to something they walk on in their environment. A had a dog start this after I bought a new wool rug. I've had others do this when I've done nothing more than change laundry detergents.

To get to the bottom of this, look around your environment to see what has change of late. Stress can be triggered by so many things - anything from a new cat that hangs around outside, to you moving around furniture, to a change in your habits, to a physical illness that your cat may be hiding from you. Contact allergies are triggered by new things in your home.

Cats don't change their behavior for no reason. Something has changed in your kitties life.

Rats, too late again.  I must be gettin' old.  

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lately my kitty has been licking one of his back feet more than usual and he also really bites at his toenails more then usual. He has licked almost all of the fur off on the tops of his toes on the one foot,the other foot doesnt seem to be bothering him at all. What could be causing this? Stress? Allergy to to a food?
Might also be a fungal or yeast infection around your cat's claws (even something like ringworm). Will he let you inspect his feet and extend his claws to get a good look around the nail bed? Possibly a trip to the vet to narrow down the source of the problem is needed. 

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_nail_nailbed_disorders#.Tu4yOJgmmgw

http://manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will have to have a closer look in between his toes and such then. We are trying to avoid the vet only because the whole procedure stresses him out so much, but obviously if he needs it we will take him down! Over the past few months he has been on a new food so that could also be affecting him.