Cat Licking her mouth

emmaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has recently been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. she is on 2 different heart meds and was on a diuretic but was taken off that due to he kidney enzyme levels being high. she keeps licking her lips.. she never did that before.. is this maybe a kidney problem or heart .. she drinks lots of water anyway.. always has as she prefers to eat dried food although does eat wet food now and then.. does anyone have the same situation?

katmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriends cat has been licking her lips lately as well and I have yet to make the ultimate decision to take her to a vet. However i do recall just the other day before she started licking her lips me spraying alot of roach spray to kill one roach in our apartment. Thats the only thing i can think of. Just being honest. She is curled up in a ball most of the day however still enjoys going outdoors for some fresh air. I think it will pass its probably just a strong stomach ache from the roach spray...

OCView media item 239782

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree... It is most likely a sign of either acid reflux or nausea... I had a cat before with CRF that did this, I also have a cat now with Inflammatory Bowel Disease that when his IBD flairs up will do this.

Without going back to your post if your cat is on Prednisone or has been on it recently this can upset the stomach and create acid reflux. I know when my cats have ever been on steroids (including my husband ) pepcid is prescribed along with it .

Anytime a cat continiously licks it's lips , except for right after eating I would say there is a medical reason .

When the cat is doing this take notice do you see any slobber , wetness around the mouth ? If so I would bet it's stomach is upset from something.

Contact your vet (or get a second opinion ) about giving pepcid a try .

katmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took her to the vet and found out it's her cat herpes flaring up again. She was prescribed a pill by mouth called famciclovir for her blisters in her mouth she hasn't ate in going on 2 days and I'm going to buy her a broth. She started to throw up recently from another liquid medicine prescribed so I'm not going to give it to her unless this pool doesn't work .

Thanks

mamacat23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MissK : I agree with others who have replied, it's likely due to nausea.  I also had a cat with CRF who was doing this and when I asked our vet about it---he indicated that it was a sign of nausea and prescribed Pepcid AC (NOT Pepcid Complete) 1/4 (of a 10 mg) tab in the morning and 1/4 tab at night.  This did stop the mouth licking.  In this case, we knew the reason for the nausea (the chronic renal failure), but if your cat is nauseated your vet needs to find out why.    

KatMann:   It's highly likely that the roach spray is what is causing your girlfriend's cat to lick it's lips (nauseated) since roach sprays and other pesticides are highly toxic (can be deadly) to cats.  You might want to have your girlfriend use "roach motels"  instead of a spray to take care of the problem---they work better than sprays (the bugs take the pesticide back to their nest so that the entire nest is destroyed) and are less harmful to cats (just be sure to place them in areas the cat can't get to).  These are made by a number of companies, are available in most stores where the sprays are sold, work quickly and are inexpensive.   We've had this problem, too---so I speak from experience.  Hope this helps. 

readburn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If other changes don't work, you might want to get a second opinion on the teeth.  My friend had a terrible experience when TWICE the vet told her that her diabetic cat's teeth were fine.  Then one day she stopped eating and went into shock. Mystified, my friend was told that Kitty's teeth were rotting in her head.  It was horrible. Not all vets know everything.